Ex-Disney worker accused of hacking computer menus to add profanities, errors


A Walt Disney World entrance sign in Orlando, Florida, US. A former worker hacked servers at Walt Disney World after being fired in order to manipulate computer menus by changing prices, adding profanities and altering notifications to wrongly declare some items as safe for people with allergies, according to a federal criminal complaint. — Reuters

ORLANDO, Florida: A former worker hacked servers at Walt Disney World after being fired in order to manipulate computer menus by changing prices, adding profanities and altering notifications to wrongly declare some items as safe for people with allergies, according to a federal criminal complaint.

The former employee was arrested last week following an investigation by the FBI. His court-appointed attorney, David Haas, said Oct 31 that his client intended to plea not guilty once a formal indictment has been filed. In the meantime, he was being held in jail until at least a bond hearing set for next week.

In a motion seeking his release, Haas said that his client had struggled with mental health issues since childhood and was currently seeing a psychiatrist.

“He is not receiving any mental health counseling or treatment in jail,” the attorney said in the motion.

Disney said Thursday it wasn’t commenting on the case. Disney caught the changes before the menus were shipped to restaurants, including the allergen information, with “potentially fatal consequences depending on the severity of the customers’ allergies”, the complaint said.

Disney was forced to take its menu creation program offline for more than a week, and the company says the attacks cost at least US$150,000 (RM657,454).

An internal investigation by Disney determined that the worker who was fired last June from his job as a menu production manager was a potential suspect. The termination was “contentious and not considered to be amicable”, and his job responsibilities included the creation and publishing of menus for the company’s entire restaurant portfolio, the criminal complaint said.

Only workers in his position or similar positions “would have the accesses and knowledge to carry out the attacks”, the complaint said.

The former Disney worker denied any wrongdoing when FBI agents searched his house last month. – AP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tech News

Explainer-From Meta to SpaceX: how dual-class shares keep founders in control
On London's streets, facial recognition tests the balance between security and liberty
Analysis-Space ETFs booming in anticipation of SpaceX IPO
Prism+ launches AI TV 2026 series, starting from RM1,499 for the 43in model
Microsoft turns to video-game researcher to fire up Xbox revival
Workday shares jump as AI demand eases investor concerns
Italy busts €300 million streaming piracy ring
UBS Global Wealth Management lifts S&P 500 target on strong consumer spending, AI demand
Fans create AI-generated team songs ahead of World Cup
Paris to host 2026 Esports World Cup instead of Riyadh

Others Also Read