Major video game publishers shielded by in-house studios during strike, analysts say


FILE PHOTO: Video gamers take part in 24 hour gaming competition during the rAge Expo, an annual mega event for video gaming, technology, e-sports, geek culture and digital entertainment, in Midrand, South Africa, December 8, 2023. REUTERS/Ihsaan Haffejee/File Photo

(Reuters) - Major video game publishers including Electronic Arts and Take-Two will likely stave off a big hit from the strike by voice actors and motion-capture artists due to their in-house studios and the lengthy development cycles for games, analysts said.

The strike, which began last week, marked the latest in Hollywood after unions representing writers and actors took to the picket lines last year seeking protections against the use of artificial intelligence.

It comes at a crucial time for the video game industry as demand remains weak after a pandemic-driven boom, with people spending fewer hours on games and sticking to big titles.

But unlike the disruptions caused by last year's strikes, the latest action is expected to have little impact as the workers make up a small portion of the video game development process and budget.

"When you think about the larger publishers, they'll spend anywhere from three to 10 years working on their larger titles. If something is coming out over the next several quarters, it will have been something that they begin production on several years ago," Wedbush Securities analyst Nick McKay said.

That means that Take-Two Interactive Software's long-awaited title "Grand Theft Auto VI" - set to be launched in the fall of 2025 - is unlikely to be affected by the strike that workers represented by the SAG-AFTRA union called on Thursday.

The small budget required for voice acting also gives companies little incentive to hold projects, and without a unified body, once one developer agrees, others may follow, analysts said.

Still, the strike will be a hot topic during earnings of the companies set to be released in the coming weeks, said Joost Van Dreunen, a lecturer at NYU's Stern School of Business.

The strike was a symptom of the widespread layoffs and studios shutdowns that have hit the industry, he added.

"If it isn't resolved by early September, then I can see it carrying into the rest of the year and the holiday season," said Van Dreunen. "That will be much more dramatic for publishers."

(Reporting by Zaheer Kachwala in Bengaluru; Editing by Shounak Dasgupta)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tech News

ByteDance building out artificial intelligence team in US
Sony shuts down video-game studio Bluepoint
AppLovin plans Its own social platform after failed TikTok bid
Laser-written glass can store data for millennia, Microsoft says
OpenAI's Altman tells leaders regulation 'urgently' needed
Ireland, home to EU tech hubs, mulls teen social media ban
Nvidia, OpenAI near $30 billion investment in place of unfinished $100 billion deal, FT reports
Bill Gates cancels India summit speech to 'ensure focus' on AI
Meta cuts stock awards by 5% for most employees, FT reports
GoPro names insider Brian Tratt as CFO

Others Also Read