Several Macau government websites hacked, says Chinese state media


A man holds a laptop computer as cyber code is projected on him in this illustration picture taken on May 13, 2017. REUTERS/Kacper Pempel/Illustration

BEIJING (Reuters) - Several Macau government websites were hacked and police have launched a criminal investigation to trace the source of the crime, Chinese state media reported late on Wednesday.

Security officials of the Macau Special Administrative Region's government said on Wednesday evening several websites had been hacked, including the office of the secretary for security, the public security police, the fire services department and the security forces services bureau, blocking service.

Officials believe the source of the intrusion was from overseas, CCTV reported. No other details or information were immediately available.

Authorities carried out an emergency response in conjunction with the telecommunication operators in order to restore affected services as soon as possible, the report said.

(Reporting by Bernard Orr and Shanghai newsroom; Editing by Jamie Freed)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tech News

Turkey reviews six online platforms for children's data-processing practices
Dinner is being recorded, whether you know it or not
Mark Zuckerberg testifies in LA trial over claims social media makes kids addicted
These students in the US tricked teachers with phishing emails – for a good cause
Apple pushes emergency iPhone update after ‘extremely sophisticated’ spyware attack. Experts advise installing it immediately
OpenAI expects compute spend of around $600 billion through 2030, source says
Microsoft Gaming head Phil Spencer retires, insider Asha Sharma takes over
SEC probe involving AppLovin still active, Bloomberg News reports
OpenAI developing AI devices including smart speaker, The Information reports
US judge upholds $243 million verdict against Tesla over fatal Autopilot crash

Others Also Read