‘Fortnite’ app removal threatens social lifeline for young gamers


A file photo of contestants at the Fortnite World Cup Duos Finals in New York, US. Fortnite, which has attracted more than 350 million players globally, is especially popular among younger gamers and has become one of the few lifelines to the outside world for kids trapped at home during the coronavirus pandemic. — Reuters

NEW YORK/BENGALURU: A YouTube alert interrupted Jack Erricker’s schoolwork on Friday morning as he and kids all over the world woke up to the news that their favourite game, Fortnite, had been taken down from Apple’s Store and Google Play store.

“It’s basically the only game I play,” said Erricker, an 11-year-old in Bengaluru, India, an avid Fortnite player on his Apple iPad. “I’m not happy, I don’t think it’s a good move.”

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Fortnite

Next In Tech News

Turkey reviews six online platforms for children's data-processing practices
Dinner is being recorded, whether you know it or not
Mark Zuckerberg testifies in LA trial over claims social media makes kids addicted
These students in the US tricked teachers with phishing emails – for a good cause
Apple pushes emergency iPhone update after ‘extremely sophisticated’ spyware attack. Experts advise installing it immediately
OpenAI expects compute spend of around $600 billion through 2030, source says
Microsoft Gaming head Phil Spencer retires, insider Asha Sharma takes over
SEC probe involving AppLovin still active, Bloomberg News reports
OpenAI developing AI devices including smart speaker, The Information reports
US judge upholds $243 million verdict against Tesla over fatal Autopilot crash

Others Also Read