Govt’s laptop initiative takes off this month


  • TECH
  • Thursday, 22 Jul 2010

KUALA LUMPUR: The distribution of laptops under the National Broadband Initiative (NBI) will be done in stages, from this month to year end, the Dewan Negara heard.

Information, Communications and Culture Deputy Minister Datuk Joseph Salang Gandum said the move will involve the co-ordination and co-operation of government agencies, small and medium industries, and service providers.

“The ministry has already identified the users who are staying near the 246 broadband community centres nationwide.

“This initiative will help the government increase broadband penetration from 38% to 50% by end 2010,” he said in reply to a question by Sen Datuk Rizuan Abdul Hamid who asked about the distribution of laptops under the NBI.

Salang said 65% of the laptops would be distributed to poor students and the remaining 35% to those in the low income group.

“We are targeting students from families with a household income of less RM3,000 for rural and RM5,000 for urban areas.

“Priority is for those in government and government-aided schools without computers and broadband subscription at home,” he said.

The low income group, he said, should have a household income of less RM3,000, with no computers and broadband subscription.

Areas targeted are kampungs, new villages and local community centres with one laptop for each household. — Bernama

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across The Star Online