Tennis-Home hero Vacherot thrilled to beat Musetti in Monte Carlo


Tennis - ATP Masters 1000 - Monte Carlo Masters - Monte Carlo Country Club, Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, France - April 8, 2026 Monaco's Valentin Vacherot in action during his round of 32 match against Italy's Lorenzo Musetti. REUTERS/Manon Cruz

April 9 (Reuters) - Monaco's Valentin ⁠Vacherot could barely have scripted his second career win ⁠over a top-five player better after he defeated world number ‌five Lorenzo Musetti 7-6(6) 7-5 in front of a joyous home crowd at the Monte-Carlo Masters on Wednesday.

The victory made the 27-year-old just the second Monegasque, ​after his half-brother and coach Benjamin Balleret, ⁠to reach the Monte-Carlo ⁠Masters third round.

It also marked his second win over a top-five ⁠ranked ‌opponent following his triumph over 24-times Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic en route to his maiden ATP title ⁠at the Shanghai Masters last year.

"If someone had ​told me that ‌my first top-five win of the season, second after Shanghai, ⁠would be ​here on a night session, on the centre court that I've been hitting on since I'm six years old, I wouldn't have believed ⁠it," Vacherot said on court.

"Maybe people ​don't know that I love clay. I grew up playing here for 18 years before going to college and learning how to play ⁠on hard courts. But this is where I learned how to play tennis.

"Let's say I needed a set and a half to get on it in the first round. And now ​my game is back."

Vacherot, who rocketed from ⁠number 204 in the world to number 40 after his win ​in Shanghai and also reached the third ‌round of the Australian Open this ​year, takes on Poland's Hubert Hurkacz later on Thursday.

(Reporting by Aadi Nair in Bengaluru; Editing by Peter Rutherford)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tennis

Tennis-Pegula downs Anisimova to advance to Cincinnati Open semi-finals
Tennis-Alcaraz confirms US Open return after four-month injury layoff
Tennis-Grand Slams create player advisory council amid push for increased prize money
Tennis-US Open announces record $108 million prize purse
Tennis-Bejlek shocks Sabalenka, Paul ousts top seed Zverev in Cincinnati
A tense road to gold
Tennis-Kyrgios provisionally suspended after testing positive for cocaine
Tennis-Red-hot Nakashima stuns Medvedev to reach Cincinnati fourth round
Tennis-Williams sisters beaten on doubles return at Cincinnati Open
Tennis-Djokovic falls in Cincinnati heat in first match since Wimbledon

Others Also Read