Tennis-Zverev survives De Jong drop shot bonanza to advance


Tennis - French Open - Roland Garros, Paris, France - May 29, 2025 Germany's Alexander Zverev in action during his second round match against Netherlands' Jesper De Jong REUTERS/Gonzalo Fuentes

PARIS (Reuters) - Third seed Alexander Zverev had to chase down dozens of drop shots from sprightly Dutchman Jesper de Jong before earning a 3-6 6-1 6-2 6-3 victory on Thursday to advance to the French Open third round.

The 28-year-old Zverev, a finalist in Paris last year and looking for his first Grand Slam title, found himself a break down with De Jong, ranked 88th in the world, initially matching the German's baseline power punch for punch.

De Jong, bidding to become the first Dutch player to record a win over a top-three player on any clay tournament in 25 years, quickly added drop shots to his arsenal to land the first set.

"It wasn't the best set of tennis, the first," Zverev said in a post-match interview. "I am still having chances not playing great. Once I found my rhythm I felt very comfortable."

"I am happy about my level. He played a fantastic match also. I hope I can continue playing great tennis and we will see what I can achieve."

At least a semi-finalist in the past four French Opens, Zverev remained composed and twice broke his opponent to bag the second set.

De Jong, however, increased his drop shot rate dramatically -- even hitting three on consecutive points in the first game of the third set -- to force the tall Zverev out of his comfort zone at the baseline.

The world number three gradually adapted to this play, however, chasing down drop shot number 26 to earn a break point at 2-2 in the third set. He converted it to take control and never looked back.

With De Jong gradually running out of steam and his error count rising sharply, Zverev powered to two more breaks and a 4-0 lead to break his opponent's resistance and he sealed the win when De Jong sank another drop shot into the net.

Zverev will next play the winner of the all-Italian clash between Matteo Arnaldi and Flavio Cobolli.

(Reporting by Karolos Grohmann, editing by Ed Osmond)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tennis

Tennis-Alcaraz downs Fils to win Qatar Open, extends perfect start to the year
Tennis-Pegula beats Svitolina in straight sets in Dubai final
Tennis-Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils
Tennis-Svitolina downs Gauff, Pegula fights back to beat Anisimova in Dubai semis
Tennis-Players run for cover as honey bees swarm Bengaluru stadium
Tennis-Badosa slams online 'disrespect' after Dubai injury retirement
Tennis-WTA forms special council to overhaul congested calendar amid player concerns
Tennis-Ruzic grabs Dubai spotlight as lucky loser shocks Raducanu
Tennis-Lucky losers step in as withdrawals shake Dubai draw, reignite calendar debate
Tennis-Alcaraz says he still has 'weaknesses' ahead of return in Doha

Others Also Read