Tennis-Hopman Cup cancelled for 2024, to return in 2025


(Reuters) - This year's Hopman Cup has been postponed until 2025 because of its proximity to the Paris Olympics, the International Tennis Federation said on Tuesday.

The mixed team event was due to take place again in Nice after its successful return last year when Croatia beat Switzerland in the final.

"With both the Hopman Cup and Olympic Games due to take place in France this year, hitting pause on the Hopman Cup until 2025 is a sensible decision," ITF President David Haggerty said.

"The players who had committed to this year's event have been informed and we look forward to seeing them in the Cote d'Azure next year."

The Hopman Cup was held in Australia ahead of the Australian Open from 1989 until 2019. After a three-year hiatus it resumed in France last year.

The Olympic tennis event begins on July 27.

(Reporting by Martyn Herman; Editing by Ken Ferris)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tennis

Tennis-Alcaraz downs Fils to win Qatar Open, extends perfect start to the year
Tennis-Pegula beats Svitolina in straight sets in Dubai final
Tennis-Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils
Tennis-Svitolina downs Gauff, Pegula fights back to beat Anisimova in Dubai semis
Tennis-Players run for cover as honey bees swarm Bengaluru stadium
Tennis-Badosa slams online 'disrespect' after Dubai injury retirement
Tennis-WTA forms special council to overhaul congested calendar amid player concerns
Tennis-Ruzic grabs Dubai spotlight as lucky loser shocks Raducanu
Tennis-Lucky losers step in as withdrawals shake Dubai draw, reignite calendar debate
Tennis-Alcaraz says he still has 'weaknesses' ahead of return in Doha

Others Also Read