Rugby-Club World Cup set to start in 2028 - reports


SYDNEY (Reuters) - Negotiations between stakeholders have cleared a path for a 16-team Club World Cup to bring the best sides from the Northern and Southern Hemispheres together starting in 2028, multiple media reports said on Tuesday.

Making room for the quadrennial tournament will require calendar changes to leagues in Europe and Australasia but the desire to get it going means adjustments to carve out a four-week June window had been agreed, the reports said.

The top eight teams from Europe's Champions Cup, which also includes South African sides, would qualify along with the best six Super Rugby Pacific outfits and two other clubs, probably from Japan.

Qualification would be meritocratic, the reports said, meaning some major rugby-playing nations could be unrepresented if their teams were not performing well.

(Reporting by Nick Mulvenney, editing by Christian Schmollinger)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Rugby

Rugby-Brumbies maul champions Crusaders in historic Super Rugby win
Rugby-Late Turner try earns Scotland 26-23 comeback win in Wales
Rugby-Ragged England undone by Ireland's greater desire and intent
Rugby-Ireland demolish sloppy England in record 42-21 victory
Rugby-Waratahs coach McKellar determined to keep Jorgensen fit for Super Rugby challenge
Rugby-Capuozzo back in Italian side to take on France
Rugby-France reshuffle second row for Six Nations clash with Italy
Rugby-Evergreen Slipper packs down for 200th Super Rugby match
Rugby-Crowley to start as Ireland head to Twickenham in search of form
Rugby-Wales select uncapped wing Hamer-Webb for visit of Scotland

Others Also Read