Motor racing-NASCAR driver dies at 41 after sudden illness


May 9, 2026; Watkins Glen, New York, USA; NASCAR Cup Series driver Kyle Busch looks on during practice and qualifying for the Go Bowling at The Glen at Watkins Glen International. Mandatory Credit: Matthew O'Haren-Imagn Images

May 21 (Reuters) - Two-times ⁠NASCAR Cup Serieschampion Kyle Busch has died ⁠at the age of 41, NASCAR said ‌on Thursday.

News of his death came just hours after Busch's family released a statement saying he had been ​hospitalized with a severe illness and ⁠would not compete ⁠in this weekend's Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor ⁠Speedway.

"We are ‌saddened and heartbroken to share the news of the passing of Kyle ⁠Busch, a two-time Cup champion and one ​of our ‌sport's greatest and fiercest drivers," NASCAR said ⁠on social ​media.

"We extend our deepest condolences to the Busch family, Richard Childress Racing and the entire motorsports ⁠community."

Richard Childress Racing had announced ​that Austin Hill, who drives the No. 21 for RCR in the O'Reilly Auto Parts Series, ⁠will take Busch's place in the No. 8 Chevrolet this weekend.

The 41-year-old Las Vegas native ranked 24th in the Cup Series standings, with ​a pair of top-10 finishes ⁠in 12 races this season. He won championships ​in 2015 and 2019.

His last ‌win in 2023 was his ​first with RCR.

(Reporting by Nicole Fernandes and Janina Nuno RiosEditing by Christian Radnedge)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Others Also Read