Motor racing-Verstappen's Dutch GP to drop off F1 calendar after 2026


FILE PHOTO: Formula One F1 - Dutch Grand Prix - Circuit Zandvoort, Zandvoort, Netherlands - August 25, 2024 Red Bull's Max Verstappen and McLaren's Lando Norris in action during the race REUTERS/Piroschka Van De Wouw/File Photo

ABU DHABI (Reuters) -Quadruple world champion Max Verstappen's home Dutch Grand Prix will drop off the calendar after 2026, Formula One announced on Wednesday.

A one-year extension has been agreed with the local promoter for 2026, with the race at Zandvoort to be held in the sprint format for the first time, the Liberty Media-owned sport said in a statement.

The seaside race at an 'old school' circuit has become a raucous sold-out party for Verstappen's Orange Army of fans accustomed to cheering the Red Bull driver on to yet another victory.

Verstappen, who secured his fourth successive title in Las Vegas last month, was beaten into second place at Zandvoort this year by McLaren's Lando Norris.

That was the first time since the race returned to the calendar in 2021, after a 36-year absence, that Verstappen had not triumphed at Zandvoort.

"I am incredibly grateful for the work that the team at the Dutch Grand Prix have done in recent years," said Formula One Chief Executive Stefano Domenicali, who said the race had raised the bar in Europe for spectacle and entertainment.

"All parties positively collaborated to find a solution to extend the race, with many options, including alternation or annual events on the table, and we respect the decision from the promoter to finish its amazing run in 2026."

Dutch Grand Prix director Robert van Overdijk said the race had been a huge success.

"We are a privately owned and operated business, and we must balance the opportunities presented by continuing to host the event, against other risks and responsibilities," he added.

"We have decided to go out on a high with two more incredible Dutch grands prix in 2025 and 2026. We wanted to take this step while our event is adored and supported by passionate fans, residents, and the Formula One community."

The Formula One calendar is already at a record 24 races and Domenicali has spoken of some European races alternating to allow others to come in.

Formula One is keen to include an African round while both Germany and France are currently absent. The Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona, Belgian Grand Prix at Spa and Imola in Italy are all seen as candidates for rotation from 2026.

The Formula One season ends in Abu Dhabi on Sunday.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin; editing by Alison Williams and Jason Neely)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Motorsport

First podium spot in Moto3 eludes�Hakim in last lap
Motor racing-Verstappen's Nuerburgring 24hrs hopes dashed by driveshaft failure
Motor racing-Verstappen's team qualifies fourth on Nuerburgring 24 Hours debut
Motor racing-Montreal strippers plan strike for Formula One weekend
Motor racing-Honda set for $19 million boost to address F1 engine woes
Le Mans an important lesson for Hakim as he gears up for�Catalunya
Motor racing-Nuerburgring feels Verstappen effect as fans rush to 24hr race
Limited wet weather data hampers Hakim’s performance
Hakim braces for wet Le Mans challenge
Motor racing-F1 to have more combustion power and less electric in 2027

Others Also Read