Soccer-Van de Ven main Tottenham skipper as De Zerbi names five captains


Soccer Football - Premier League - Tottenham Hotspur v Everton - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London, Britain - May 24, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur's Micky van de Ven applauds fans after the match REUTERS/Dylan Martinez

LONDON, Aug 21 (Reuters) - Tottenham Hotspur's official ⁠captain this season will be Micky van de Ven, with manager Roberto de Zerbi on ⁠Friday naming the Netherlands international at the head of a five-man leadership group including ‌World Cup-winner Pedro Porro.

Both players, however, will miss Spurs' opening Premier League game at Brentford on Saturday.

The 25-year-old Van de Ven takes over the armband from Argentine Cristian Romero who joined Atletico Madrid this month.

"The new captain is Micky van ​de Ven. The second Pedro Porro, the third Ben Davies, the ⁠fourth James Maddison and the fifth ⁠Archie Gray," Italian De Zerbi explained.

"Why five captains? Just because I want many captains inside of the ⁠pitch ‌and to be clear in the position.

"Every one of them deserves to be captain or in the group of the captains, but personality and passion is not if you are ⁠captain or not captain."

Italian De Zerbi arrived near the end of ​last season with seven games ‌left and the club heading for relegation for the first time since 1977. He ⁠instilled some much-needed spirit ​and completed his survival mission on the final day of the campaign.

After a big-money close-season spending spree on the likes of Sandro Tonali, Mateus Fernandes and Jan Paul van Hecke, hopes are high that he can get ⁠Tottenham challenging at the other end of the table ​after successive 17th-placed finishes.

Two of his key men will be missing for the trip to Brentford with Van de Ven injured and Porro only just back in training after the right back helped Spain lift ⁠the World Cup.

"Micky is not on the list tomorrow like Pedro," De Zerbi told reporters.

"Today (Van de Ven) worked with us, with the group and he is going very well. He suffered a problem during the pre-season of Australia, I don't know if it was the flight, but not a big problem.

"We ​have (Marcos) Senesi, we have Ben Davies and in the right condition ⁠to play the game tomorrow."

De Zerbi would not be drawn on the reported imminent arrival of Brazilian winger ​Savinho from Manchester City but said he was happy with ‌the club's close-season transfers.

"We have not finished in the ​transfer market. It's an important part. So far we have brought in some great players, great spirit and great personality," he said.

(Reporting by Martyn Herman; Editing by Ken Ferris)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Paredes banned for 10 games after World Cup final fracas, Argentina fined
Soccer-Liverpool can compete despite need for more signings, says Iraola
Soccer-Ghana midfielder Partey joins Al-Shabab
Run ends in semis for Lim You and Co but youngster leaves indelible mark
Soccer-Maresca unfazed by City exits ahead of season-opener against Bournemouth
Soccer-Danish FA calls for FIFA presidential alternative as Infantino support wanes
Soccer-Mourinho returns with calm words and hard edge as Real reset begins
JDT stars - Bergson, Shane and Lowry listed as locals
Moses ready for battle as Selangor chase first Sukma gold since 1998
Soccer-Musiala's on-field collapses were the result of treatment change, says Bayern coach Kompany

Others Also Read