Soccer-Maresca unfazed by City exits ahead of season-opener against Bournemouth


Soccer Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs

Aug 21 (Reuters) - Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca ⁠said he was comfortable with his squad despite uncertainty over several players' futures, adding that the ⁠club was prepared for further movement before the transfer window closes.

City host Bournemouth in their ‌Premier League opener on Sunday after a 3-0 defeat by Arsenal in last week’s Community Shield.

The departure of key midfielder Rodri to Barcelona and the expected exit of winger Savinho, who has been strongly linked with Tottenham Hotspur, have fuelled speculation over City's transfer plans.

Egyptian ​forward Omar Marmoush has also been linked with a move away.

Maresca said ⁠Rodri and Savinho had made clear that ⁠they wanted to leave, but described Marmoush’s position as different.

"When the player wants to leave, then it is ⁠complicated ‌to convince them to stay," Maresca told reporters on Friday.

"It happened with Rodri and the same thing is happening with Savinho. Since day one he has come in and said he wanted to leave, ⁠so now we are waiting.

"Omar is still here, still with us. ​He is different to Savinho, so ‌we will see what happens."

The Italian suggested a lack of playing time had been a factor ⁠behind several players seeking ​moves away from the Etihad Stadium.

"Unless Rodri, the rest all have in common one thing, they didn't play a lot," he said.

"When they don't play they prefer to leave."

With less than two weeks remaining before the transfer deadline, Maresca said City ⁠were working closely with club officials on potential additions. He ​declined to discuss specific targets or say how many players the club might sign.

City have been linked in media reports with Lille midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi and Chelsea's Argentina international Enzo Fernandez.

"I am not worried about our squad. Since day ⁠one we have been working with the club and many things can happen in the last 10 days of the transfer window," Maresca said.

"We know exactly what we need and then we will see over the next 10 days."

Maresca also refused to comment on Fernandez, saying he did not believe it was appropriate to discuss players ​under contract elsewhere.

"Enzo is a Chelsea player, and I'm not going to ⁠talk about players that are not with us," he said.

"First of all because I think it's a lack of respect, ​and second because I don't like when different managers talk about ‌our players."

Maresca confirmed that winger Jeremy Doku would miss ​Sunday’s match after suffering a calf injury against Arsenal. Midfielder Matheus Nunes has returned to fitness, while the rest of the squad is available.

(Reporting by Karan Prashant Saxena in BengaluruEditing by Toby Davis)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Ghana midfielder Partey joins Al-Shabab
Run ends in semis for Lim You and Co but youngster leaves indelible mark
Soccer-Danish FA calls for FIFA presidential alternative as Infantino support wanes
Soccer-Mourinho returns with calm words and hard edge as Real reset begins
JDT stars - Bergson, Shane and Lowry listed as locals
Moses ready for battle as Selangor chase first Sukma gold since 1998
Soccer-Musiala's on-field collapses were the result of treatment change, says Bayern coach Kompany
Soccer-Spurs reported to have agreed �75 million deal for City's Savinho
Soccer-Galatasaray sign Russian midfielder Batrakov from Lokomotiv Moscow
Soccer-World Cup surprise package Cape Verde name Bettencourt as coach

Others Also Read