Germany's DFB soccer association HQ searched in 2024 Euros ticket probe


Soccer Football - Euro 2024 - Round of 16 - Germany v Denmark - Dortmund BVB Stadion, Dortmund, Germany - June 29, 2024 Germany fans celebrate after the match REUTERS/Leon Kuegeler

BERLIN, ⁠July 1 (Reuters) - German investigators have carried out nationwide searches, including at the offices of the ⁠DFB soccer association, as part of a probe into suspected ticket and hospitality violations at ‌the 2024 European Championship, officials said on Wednesday.

The raids were prompted by investigations into a German national and a French national among others, according to the Bild newspaper, which first reported the story.

The case involves hotel invitations and several thousand tickets that ​may have been illegally allocated to preferred guests prior to ⁠the 2024 Euros, which were hosted across ⁠10 German cities, Bild said.

The DFB said a search had been carried out at the DFB Campus ⁠on ‌Wednesday, together with searches at several municipal administrative offices, in connection with a probe into the potential granting of undue advantages.

"The investigation concerns neither the DFB as an organisation nor any ⁠individual employees or officials," it said in an emailed statement. "Rather, the ​DFB is involved in these ‌proceedings solely as a witness and has pledged full cooperation with the authorities."

A joint statement ⁠by prosecutors in Bochum ​and the North Rhine-Westphalia state criminal office said searches were being conducted in several locations in Germany on Wednesday.

The German national, at the time a municipal employee from Gelsenkirchen, one of the host cities, was suspected to have ⁠received tickets, travel and hotel benefits worth €2,400 ($2,736), Bild said.

"A football ​ticket is not part of one's salary. Anyone in the public sector who has their hand out will get a visit from us," Herbert Reul, the Interior Minister of North Rhine-Westphalia, where Gelsenkirchen is located, told ⁠Bild.

"Major events like the European Football Championship, in particular, rely on public trust — trust in the sport and in the authorities that make it possible. We will not allow that trust to be damaged by a few invitations and tickets."

The statement by prosecutors and police also said the investigation concerned "unauthorised advantages, including ​a visit to an international football match".

UEFA did not immediately respond ⁠to an emailed request for comment.

Prosecutors in Bochum declined further comment.

The news came in a week of soul-searching ​in Germany over the team's shock exit to underdogs Paraguay in ‌the World Cup, with Chancellor Friedrich Merz also sparking ​a backlash for praising the team on social media despite the defeat.

($1 = 0.8772 euros)

(Reporting by Kirsti Knolle; Writing by Matthias Williams, Editing by Linda Pasquini, Kate Mayberry and Clare Fallon)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Others Also Read