Soccer-Paris mayor pushes for resolution in PSG stadium talks by summer


Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Round of 16 - First Leg - Paris St Germain v Chelsea - Parc des Princes, Paris, France - March 11, 2026 Paris St Germain players celebrate after the match REUTERS/Stephane Mahe

PARIS, March 30 (Reuters) - Newly-elected Paris mayor ⁠Emmanuel Gregoire on Monday set a summer deadline to break the long-running impasse ⁠with Paris St Germain over the future of the Parc des Princes, as he ‌moved to reopen negotiations with the club's Qatari owners.

Gregoire said he would convene a special session of the Paris council in mid-April to relaunch talks, with both sides aiming to reach clarity "by the end of the summer", he ​told France Info radio on whether the capital's flagship club ⁠can remain at its historic home.

The ⁠standoff has dragged on for months after his predecessor Anne Hidalgo ruled out selling the stadium, ⁠a ‌position that froze discussions and prompted PSG to explore alternative sites outside the city, including Massy and Poissy.

While Gregoire acknowledged opposition within his own majority - particularly from Green ⁠councillors opposed to selling a landmark public asset - he signalled ​a more pragmatic approach, saying ‌he was personally open to a sale provided it is tightly controlled.

PSG, the ⁠reigning European champions, have ​made ownership a precondition for any major redevelopment, arguing that expanding the Parc des Princes is critical to sustaining their growth. The club have repeatedly said they will not invest in the stadium without ⁠owning it.

Seeking to bridge the gap, Gregoire said he ​would put forward two paths - extending PSG's long-term lease or negotiating a sale with strict safeguards, such as heritage protections and a potential buyback option for the city.

"I need a mandate," he said, ⁠stressing that any final decision would rest with the Paris council rather than the mayor alone.

"We have a deep emotional attachment to our club, and we want it to remain in Paris, so we want to create the conditions for it to stay."

Gregoire added he had already spoken ​with PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi following his election victory earlier ⁠this month, underlining the city's desire to keep the club in Paris while also ensuring public money ​is not used to finance a professional football venue.

Any ‌proceeds from a sale, he said, would be ​reinvested into grassroots sports infrastructure and green spaces across the city.

PSG currently hold a lease on the Parc des Princes until 2044.

(Reporting by Julien PretotEditing by Christian Radnedge)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Iran to base World Cup camp in Mexico after switch from Arizona
Soccer-Barcelona power to 4-0 women's Champions League final win over Lyon
Soccer-Energy tycoon Riquelme confirms challenge for Real Madrid presidency
Soccer-Hull back in Premier League after McBurnie's last-gasp playoff winner
Soccer-Celtic complete double with Scottish Cup win over Dunfermline
Soccer-Energy tycoon Riquelme confirms plan to challenge for Real Madrid presidency
Soccer-UK's Starmer calls for free broadcast of Champions League final
Soccer-Charlton promoted to WSL after shoot-out win over Leicester
JDT lift sixth Malaysia Cup with 2-0 win over Kuching City
Soccer-Royal Armed Force count on home crowd for African Champions League turnaround

Others Also Read