Soccer-Mbappe calls for Prestianni ban over alleged racist slur at Vinicius


Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - Benfica v Real Madrid - Estadio da Luz, Lisbon, Portugal - February 17, 2026 Real Madrid's Kylian Mbappe with Benfica coach Jose Mourinho as the match was stopped due to racist chants REUTERS/Pedro Nunes

LISBON, Feb 18 (Reuters) - Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said ⁠Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr ⁠during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly ‌after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial slur against the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for 11 minutes after activating FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an ​outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, ⁠with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd ⁠whenever they touched the ball.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, who regrettably misunderstood what he ⁠thought ‌he heard," Prestianni wrote on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said ⁠he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue ​playing.

"Sporting matters ceased to be important tonight. This ‌is the Champions League, the most important football competition in the world, and we cannot ignore what happened," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have ⁠to set an example for ​all the children watching us at home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us. When someone behaves like this (like Prestianni), we have to speak out and denounce it. I have nothing against Benfica, the club, its fans or its manager. But something has to be done.

"We cannot accept that ⁠there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This ​guy doesn't deserve to play in the Champions League anymore. That's my opinion, but I don't know what they're going to do, I'm not the one who makes these kinds of decisions. UEFA is trying to do things against racism and I think they should do something about what happened here today."

'RACISTS ARE, ABOVE ⁠ALL, COWARDS'

When asked whether Prestianni had apologised, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not!" Mbappe said.

Benfica manager Jose Mourinho said the Argentine had denied the allegations. "Vinicius says one thing and Prestianni says another," Mourinho told Movistar Plus.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing ​that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

"I received a yellow card ⁠for celebrating a goal. I still don't understand why. On the other hand, it was just a poorly executed protocol that served no purpose. I don't like ​to appear in situations like this, especially after a big win and when the headlines should ‌be about Real Madrid, but it's necessary."

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse ​in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behaviour targeting Vinicius since 2022. The most recent incident was before a Copa del Rey tie against second-tier Albacete in January.

(Reporting by Fernando Kallas; Additional reporting by Karan Prashant Saxena; Editing by Toby Davis and Kevin Buckland)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Real Madrid game at Benfica suspended after Vinicius alleges racist slur
Soccer-Galatasaray hammer 10-man Juventus 5-2 in Champions League playoff thriller
Soccer-Hayes picks US squad for SheBelieves Cup eyeing World Cup bid
Soccer-Juve executives banned after clash with referee in wake of Kalulu dismissal
Soccer-Buriram United defeat Shanghai Shenhua to advance in Asian Champions League
Soccer-Table-topping Arsenal's league position a hard-earned 'privilege', says Arteta
Soccer-England's Williamson returns in squad for 2027 World Cup qualifiers
Soccer-Australia defender Miller ruled out of World Cup
Soccer-Barcelona stunned by Girona 2-1 to leave Real Madrid top of LaLiga
Soccer-Brentford edge past Macclesfield 1-0 with own goal in FA Cup

Others Also Read