Soccer-Coach, players fired after Equatorial Guinea fail to pitch for World Cup tie


Soccer Football - Africa Cup of Nations - Round of 16 - Mali v Equatorial Guinea - Limbe Omnisport Stadium, Limbe, Cameroon - January 26, 2022 Equatorial Guinea coach Juan Micha before the match REUTERS/Thaier Al-Sudani

(Reuters) -Equatorial Guinea have fired coach Juan Micha and kicked out several key players after a strike meant the team failed to travel to Malawi for a World Cup qualifier, with the country now facing possible sanctions from world football body FIFA.

Several regulars, including veteran captain Emilio Nsue, have also been removed from their squad for their last Group H qualifier against Liberia on Monday, officials said on Sunday.

Key players refused to travel for their penultimate group qualifier last Thursday, citing continual complaints over conditions and money, after which the coach and some players were kicked out of the squad.

Micha's dismissal was confirmed in a social media post from the Equatorial Guinea Football Federation.

"The Ministry of Sports has given players called up for these FIFA matches who believe they can continue to defend their country the opportunity to put their names on a list," the statement added.

"Otherwise, anyone who doesn't do so will be deemed to have opted out and will no longer be part of the national team."

A new squad has since been named for Monday's match, with Casto Nopo appointed interim coach.

The list excludes many of the players who were in the squad at the last Cup of Nations, where Equatorial Guinea caused a major sensation by beating hosts Ivory Coast 4-0 in the group phase.

The result was hailed as the biggest shock in Cup of Nations history and followed an upset 1-1 draw with Nigeria in their opening fixture of the tournament in early 2024.

Equatorial Guinea finished ahead of the two heavyweights in the group standings but were then eliminated in the last 16 by a last-gasp goal for Guinea.

Since then, Equatorial Guinea have qualified for the upcoming Cup of Nations finals in Morocco, which kicks off on December 21, but are out of contention for a place at next year’s World Cup.

(Writing by Mark Gleeson in Cape Town; Editing by Christian Radnedge)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Man Utd's Fernandes breaks Premier League assists record on final day of season
Soccer-Putellas named Women's Champions League player of the season after Barcelona triumph
Soccer-Ajax Amsterdam book berth in European club competition
Soccer-Hegerberg's home broken into before women's Champions League final
Soccer-De Zerbi vows to stay at Tottenham even if side relegated
Soccer-Guardiola says Man City successor cannot be 'copy and paste'
Soccer-North Korean team Naegohyang's coach thanks nation after winning Asian title
Soccer-Auckland's A-League success exceeds expectations for Corica
Aidil stands by young Ramadhan after Cup final penalty miss
Arif scores perfect wedding gift as JDT complete quadruple

Others Also Read