FAM to appeal over FIFA sanction against seven mixed-heritage players


Harimau Malaya team

PETALING JAYA: The Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) will appeal FIFA’s decision over allegations of 'doctored documentation' involving seven new mixed-heritage players in the Harimau Malaya squad.

Acting FAM president Datuk Yusoff Mahadi confirmed that the national body have received FIFA’s official ruling on the case.

"FAM wish to stress that both the players involved and the association itself have acted in good faith and with full transparency throughout this process," said Yusoff in a statement on Saturday (Sept 27).

He added that FAM had followed all required procedures and guidelines in managing the players’ documentation, noting that FIFA had previously reviewed and officially cleared the players’ eligibility to represent Malaysia.

"In light of this decision, FAM will be filing an appeal and will pursue all available legal avenues to protect the interests of the players and the Malaysian national team," he said.

Yusoff reaffirmed FAM’s commitment to upholding international regulations and defending the integrity of Malaysian football.

"We will continue to work closely with the Malaysian Government and all stakeholders to ensure the process remains transparent, fair, and true to the spirit of sportsmanship," he added.

FAM said further updates on the appeal process and its next steps will be announced in due course.

Earlier, FAM and seven national players were hit with heavy sanctions by FIFA’s Disciplinary Committee for breaching Article 22 of the Disciplinary Code concerning forgery and falsification.

FIFA announced that FAM had submitted doctored documents during eligibility enquiries to field the players: Gabriel Palermo, Facundo Garces, Rodrigo Holgado, Imanol Machuca, Joao Figueiredo, Jon Irazabal and Hector Hevel, in Malaysia’s Asian Cup qualifier against Vietnam on 10 June 2025.

Following an investigation triggered by a complaint regarding the eligibility of several players, the Disciplinary Committee found FAM guilty and ordered the national body to pay a fine of CHF350,000 (RM1,849,812).

The seven players were each fined CHF2,000 (RM10,570) and handed a 12-month suspension from all football-related activities.

FIFA added that the players’ eligibility to represent Malaysia would now be reviewed by their Football Tribunal.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Arbeloa to leave Real Madrid at end of season
Soccer-Azpilicueta to retire at end of season
Soccer-Carrick's calm revolution at United earns him permanent role
Soccer-Guardiola to end decade-long Man City reign at end of season
Soccer-Carrick to continue as Man United head coach until 2028
Soccer-England leave Foden and Palmer out of World Cup squad
Soccer-Ebola risk minimal for World Cup fans, logistics challenges remain
Soccer-Striker Moghanlou called into wider Iran World Cup squad
JDT's Arif set for comeback in Malaysia Cup final
Soccer-Uruguay's Bielsa says his job ends 'with the World Cup'

Others Also Read