Soccer-Ekitike handed first France call-up after Cherki thigh injury


Soccer Football - Premier League - Liverpool v AFC Bournemouth - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - August 15, 2025 Liverpool's Hugo Ekitike before the match REUTERS/Peter Powell/File Photo

(Reuters) -Liverpool striker Hugo Ekitike has received his first call-up to the France squad for next month's World Cup qualifiers, replacing injured forward Rayan Cherki, the French Football Federation said on Sunday.

Cherki, who joined Manchester City in June, has been ruled out for up to two months after sustaining a thigh muscle injury, prompting coach Didier Deschamps to turn to the uncapped Ekitike.

City manager Pep Guardiola said after Sunday's 2-1 defeat at Brighton & Hove Albion that Cherki missed the game with an injury and will be sidelined for two months or seven to eight weeks, ruling him out of the Manchester derby on September 14.

The 23-year-old Ekitike was overlooked in the initial squad despite his bright start at Liverpool, with Deschamps citing stiff competition in Les Bleus' attack.

Ekitike has scored three times in as many games since joining the Premier League champions from Eintracht Frankfurt last month. France will face Ukraine in Wroclaw in Poland on September 5 and host Iceland four days later.

(Reporting by Shifa Jahan in BengaluruEditing by Toby Davis)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Arteta dismisses ‘bottlers’ talk amid title wobble
Soccer-Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026
Kuching brace for intense battle with Selangor in race for second spot
Soccer-Crystal Palace fined over provocative fan banner
Soccer-New boss Tudor '100%' certain Tottenham will avoid relegation from Premier League
Soccer-Carrick sidesteps Ratcliffe immigration row, reinforces Man Utd's values
Soccer-City's Guardiola shrugs off tightening title race, saying 12 games is an eternity
Soccer-Bayern boss Kompany blasts Mourinho over Vinicius racism row response
Soccer-MLS in the spotlight in World Cup year as Messi's Miami begin title defence
Soccer-Turkey detains 32 suspects in widening betting probe, prosecutor's office says

Others Also Read