Central Asian Football Association expresses regret over Malaysia’s late withdrawal from Nations Cup


PETALING JAYA: The Central Asian Football Association (CAFA) has expressed regret over Malaysia’s late withdrawal from the Nations Cup, releasing an official statement clarifying key details surrounding the tournament’s scheduling and format.

The Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) had earlier announced their decision to pull out of the competition, citing player release challenges due to the event falling just outside the FIFA international match calendar.

The national team, led by Australian coach Peter Cklamovski, pointed to issues involving player availability, especially those based in foreign leagues such as Spain, Argentina, Japan and Colombia.

However, CAFA responded on Wednesday (July 16), saying the tournament dates had never been changed and had been communicated well in advance.

"Malaysia’s participation had been confirmed well in advance, with full awareness of the tournament dates (Aug 29-Sept 8), and those dates have never been changed from the beginning," CAFA stated.

"Unfortunately, this late withdrawal has caused certain disruptions to the ongoing organisational processes, particularly given the advanced stage of planning and preparations."

CAFA also addressed the concerns surrounding player availability, highlighting that flexibility in player registration was already built into the tournament regulations.

"The final registration of players — selected from a preliminary list of 35 — can be submitted on a match-by-match basis. This allows for maximum flexibility, including the possibility of key players joining the team for subsequent matches."

Despite the setback, CAFA reaffirmed their commitment to delivering a competitive and high-quality tournament, thanking participating nations for their cooperation.

"We remain committed to delivering a high-quality and competitive tournament for the people of Central Asia and beyond."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Arteta dismisses ‘bottlers’ talk amid title wobble
Soccer-Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026
Kuching brace for intense battle with Selangor in race for second spot
Soccer-Crystal Palace fined over provocative fan banner
Soccer-New boss Tudor '100%' certain Tottenham will avoid relegation from Premier League
Soccer-Carrick sidesteps Ratcliffe immigration row, reinforces Man Utd's values
Soccer-City's Guardiola shrugs off tightening title race, saying 12 games is an eternity
Soccer-Bayern boss Kompany blasts Mourinho over Vinicius racism row response
Soccer-MLS in the spotlight in World Cup year as Messi's Miami begin title defence
Soccer-Turkey detains 32 suspects in widening betting probe, prosecutor's office says

Others Also Read