Soccer-Liverpool permanently retire Jota's number 20


FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Carabao Cup Final - Chelsea v Liverpool - Wembley Stadium, London, Britain - February 27, 2022 Liverpool's Diogo Jota celebrates with the trophy after winning the Carabao Cup REUTERS/David Klein/File Photo

(Reuters) -Liverpool are to permanently retire the number 20 worn by Portuguese international Diogo Jota, after his death in a car crash in Spain last week, the Premier League champions announced on Friday.

Liverpool said on their website that after consultation with the player's wife Rute and family, the squad number would not be used at any level including the women's team and academy.

"I believe this is the first time in Liverpool Football Club’s history that such an honour has been bestowed upon an individual," said Michael Edwards, CEO of football for owners Fenway Sports Group.

"Therefore, we can say this is a unique tribute to a uniquely wonderful person. By retiring this squad number, we are making it eternal -- and therefore never to be forgotten.

"Diogo joined us in 2020, he won us (title) number 20, and he wore -- with honour, distinction and affection -- the number 20. As far as Liverpool Football Club is concerned, he will be forever our number 20."

Jota, 28, and his brother Andre Silva, who played for Penafiel in the Portuguese second division, died in the crash in northwestern Spain on July 3.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin in London, editing by Clare Fallon)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Arteta dismisses ‘bottlers’ talk amid title wobble
Soccer-Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026
Kuching brace for intense battle with Selangor in race for second spot
Soccer-Crystal Palace fined over provocative fan banner
Soccer-New boss Tudor '100%' certain Tottenham will avoid relegation from Premier League
Soccer-Carrick sidesteps Ratcliffe immigration row, reinforces Man Utd's values
Soccer-City's Guardiola shrugs off tightening title race, saying 12 games is an eternity
Soccer-Bayern boss Kompany blasts Mourinho over Vinicius racism row response
Soccer-MLS in the spotlight in World Cup year as Messi's Miami begin title defence
Soccer-Turkey detains 32 suspects in widening betting probe, prosecutor's office says

Others Also Read