Soccer- UK parliamentary committee endorses Kogan to chair independent regulator


FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Southampton v Everton - St Mary's Stadium, Southampton, Britain - November 2, 2024 General view of the match ball on a plinth before the match REUTERS/Maja Smiejkowska/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - A UK parliamentary committee endorsed David Kogan to chair a proposed independent football regulator but said on Friday his past links to the ruling Labour Party meant he would have to "give 110%" to reassure those in the game about his neutrality.

Kogan has had a 45-year career as a media executive, business leader and corporate adviser who has negotiated TV rights deals on behalf of sporting bodies such as the Premier League and English Football League.

In 2020, he also made donations to the leadership campaign of Keir Starmer, before he became prime minister, and to parliamentarian Lisa Nandy who is currently the culture secretary.

He has also declared being a donor to Labour Party candidates over the past three years.

The Culture Media and Sport Committee published a report on Friday endorsing Kogan after a pre-appointment hearing this week.

The government last month announced Kogan as the preferred candidate for the job, which carries a salary of 130,000 pounds ($172,000) for a three-day week.

"While Mr Kogan’s background and experience make him well-suited for the role, his past donations to the Labour Party will inevitably leave him open to charges of political bias in a job where independence is paramount," said committee Chair Caroline Dinenage.

"We want to see the new Independent Football Regulator succeed, so it’s crucial that nothing undermines the regulator as it gets up and running.

"Mr Kogan must give 110% when it comes to reassuring everyone in the game that he is his own man. The Committee looks forward to working with him constructively and holding him to account."

($1 = 0.7537 pounds)

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Sharon Singleton)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Wellington coach Italiano quits after 5-0 loss to rivals Auckland in A-League
Soccer-FA won't take action against Man Utd owner Ratcliffe over immigration remarks
Soccer-Arteta dismisses ‘bottlers’ talk amid title wobble
Soccer-Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026
Kuching brace for intense battle with Selangor in race for second spot
Soccer-Crystal Palace fined over provocative fan banner
Soccer-New boss Tudor '100%' certain Tottenham will avoid relegation from Premier League
Soccer-Carrick sidesteps Ratcliffe immigration row, reinforces Man Utd's values
Soccer-City's Guardiola shrugs off tightening title race, saying 12 games is an eternity
Soccer-Bayern boss Kompany blasts Mourinho over Vinicius racism row response

Others Also Read