Soccer-Brazil sack coach Dorival after humiliating loss to Argentina


FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - World Cup - South American Qualifiers - Argentina v Brazil - Estadio Mas Monumental, Buenos Aires, Argentina - March 25, 2025 Brazil coach Dorival Junior is seen before the match REUTERS/Agustin Marcarian/File Photo

RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - Brazil have sacked head coach Dorival Jr, the country's football confederation (CBF) said on Friday, after the five-times world champions were thrashed 4-1 away to fierce rivals Argentina in a humiliating qualifying loss in Buenos Aires. The 62-year-old was appointed in January 2024 after the team spent a year under two caretaker coaches as the Brazilian FA were unable to lure Italian Carlo Ancelotti from Real Madrid.

"The Brazilian Football Confederation informs that coach Dorival Jr is no longer in charge of the Brazilian national team," the confederation said in a statement.

"The management thanks (Dorival) and wishes him success in continuing his career ... the CBF will work to find his replacement," it added.

Dorival was handed the job after his success with Flamengo in 2022 where he won the Copa Libertadores and Brazilian Cup, a trophy he lifted again the next year with Sao Paulo. However, he never seemed to get to grips with the national team job and failed to earn the trust of Brazil's demanding fans after winning only seven of his 16 games in charge.

Sources told Reuters the CBF was not totally confident in Dorival's work, considering there had been little to no progress since a lacklustre Copa America campaign when Brazil were knocked out in the quarter-finals by Uruguay last year.

Still, the CBF was willing to wait and see until the 2026 World Cup qualifiers against Ecuador and Paraguay in June to reassess the situation following the end of the European season and the Club World Cup in the U.S. in June and July.

But after Brazil slumped to their heaviest ever loss in a qualifier when they were thrashed by Argentina this week, CBF president Ednaldo Rodrigues decided to pull the trigger.

IDEAL CANDIDATE

Sources told Reuters Ancelotti was still the ideal candidate but he is under contract with Real until July 2026 and there is no indication he would leave the European and Spanish champions.

Brazilian media have reported that Al Hilal's Portuguese coach Jorge Jesus is the favourite to replace Dorival.

Brazil have been in unfamiliar territory for over two years since crashing out of the 2022 World Cup against Croatia on penalties in the quarter-finals, a heartbreaking elimination that led to the exit of long-time manager Tite.

Their humbling defeat in Buenos Aires was the latest of a series of negative records Brazil have set under caretakers Ramon Menezes and Fernando Diniz and with Dorival in charge. They had never conceded four goals in a World Cup qualifier.

Brazil are in the midst of their worst ever World Cup qualifying campaign. They are fourth in the South American standings with 21 points, a point above sixth-placed Colombia who currently occupy the final direct qualifying berth.

Never have Brazil lost so many games, conceded so many goals or set so many negative records in the qualifying competition. They have lost five of their 14 games and conceded 16 goals.

Brazil's 1-0 defeat by Argentina in the Maracana late in 2023 was their first-ever qualifying loss on home soil.

They also lost to Colombia for the first time, saw the end of their unbeaten run against Uruguay stretching back over two decades and were defeated by Morocco and Senegal, having never previously lost to an African nation.

(Reporting by Fernando Kallas; Additional reporting by Gabriel Araujo; Editing by Ken Ferris)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Chelsea, Burnley condemn racist abuse of Fofana, Mejbri
Soccer-PSG return to top of Ligue 1 as Lens lose to Monaco
Soccer-O'Reilly double gives Man City win and turns heat on Arsenal
Soccer-Silva scores late equaliser as Dortmund grab 2-2 draw at Leipzig
Soccer-Osasuna stun Real Madrid 2-1 to blow LaLiga title race open
Soccer-Late goals keep Inter in control of Serie title race
Soccer-Ten-man Chelsea implode again in home draw with Burnley
Soccer-Abraham's dream return pays off as Villa salvage late point against Leeds
Soccer-Man City crank up pressure on Arsenal, Villa and Chelsea drop points
Soccer-Kane double sends Bayern nine points clear after late Frankfurt scare

Others Also Read