Soccer-Lemina stripped of Wolves captaincy


Soccer Football - Premier League - Everton v Wolverhampton Wanderers - Goodison Park, Liverpool, Britain - December 4, 2024 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Mario Lemina reacts Action Images via Reuters/Jason Cairnduff/ File Photo

(Reuters) - Defensive midfielder Mario Lemina has been replaced as Wolverhampton Wanderers captain by Portuguese right back Nelson Semedo, manager Gary O'Neil said on Friday, days after the Gabon international's altercation with West Ham United's Jarrod Bowen.

The 31-year-old Lemina apologised after the incident, which took place after Wolves suffered a 2-1 Premier League defeat against 14th-placed West Ham on Monday in which Bowen scored the winning goal for the home side.

Lemina has made 75 appearances for Wolves since joining them from French side Nice last year.

"We've decided to move the captaincy to Nelson and Nelson will captain the group from now on," O'Neil told reporters.

"Of course, the other night sparked the conversation, but it was an important conversation that had to be had. Mario and myself have a good understanding now of how we move forward and what it looks like.

"We've spoken a lot this week - me, Mario and some of the other senior players. What happened after the game can't happen.

"We all understand emotions can rise, that we're in a tough moment and everyone's fighting and giving everything under big stress and pressure. But they're scenes we won't see again, definitely."

O'Neil added that Lemina will still be part of the senior group.

The midlands club are 19th in the Premier League table with nine points from 15 matches, having won just two those games. They next host promoted Ipswich Town, who sit in 18th place, on Saturday.

(Reporting by Pearl Josephine Nazare in Bengaluru; Editing by Toby Davis)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Arteta dismisses ‘bottlers’ talk amid title wobble
Soccer-Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026
Kuching brace for intense battle with Selangor in race for second spot
Soccer-Crystal Palace fined over provocative fan banner
Soccer-New boss Tudor '100%' certain Tottenham will avoid relegation from Premier League
Soccer-Carrick sidesteps Ratcliffe immigration row, reinforces Man Utd's values
Soccer-City's Guardiola shrugs off tightening title race, saying 12 games is an eternity
Soccer-Bayern boss Kompany blasts Mourinho over Vinicius racism row response
Soccer-MLS in the spotlight in World Cup year as Messi's Miami begin title defence
Soccer-Turkey detains 32 suspects in widening betting probe, prosecutor's office says

Others Also Read