Soccer-Mount returns to boost Man United ahead of Burnley clash


FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Manchester United - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - April 4, 2024 Manchester United's Mason Mount looks dejected after the match REUTERS/Dylan Martinez/File Photo

MANCHESTER, England (Reuters) - Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag will have Mason Mount back for Saturday's Premier League game against Burnley and is hopeful Luke Shaw, Anthony Martial and Lisandro Martinez will return before the season's end.

Mount, who has started just seven matches this season across all competitions, had just returned from a three-month injury layoff when he suffered a setback in United's FA Cup semi-final win over Coventry City last Sunday.

Their 4-2 win over Sheffield United on Wednesday has Ten Hag's men sixth in the standings, seven points behind Tottenham Hotspur who have a game in hand, and so the manager could use all the reinforcements he can get.

"I think we are going to see those three this season," Ten Hag said of Shaw, Martial and Martinez. "All three returned to the pitch. Next week they have to step into team training but next week, they can step in for the last weeks. They progress well."

United's defending has been an issue all season due to injuries, with the side conceding 50 goals in the league. Ten Hag was forced to slot midfielder Casemiro into a centre-back position alongside Harry Maguire in the last two games.

"It's difficult. I know that from experience," he said. "Partnerships are so important in football. Things have to be decided in split seconds so that you know with each other where to run. So important to have the right connections, to be stable."

Ten Hag threw his support behind Marcus Rashford when asked about the harsh treatment the forward has received online this season.

Rashford had responded to a post on social media platform X on Thursday evening that called the targeting of him online "absolutely disgusting" and "cruel".

The 26-year-old player replied, writing: "I appreciate your support! It is abuse and has been for months. Enough is enough."

Ten Hag said he has a lot of sympathy for Rashford.

"So last season, I think he had the best season he has had in his career, he scored 30 goals, and you see what he is capable of," the manager said.

"Then this season, he didn't give the performances, and people are very critical, and I think we have to back him. Everyone should back him and push him to get back to the levels he was last year."

(Reporting by Lori Ewing; Editing by Christian Radnedge)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Arteta dismisses ‘bottlers’ talk amid title wobble
Soccer-Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026
Kuching brace for intense battle with Selangor in race for second spot
Soccer-Crystal Palace fined over provocative fan banner
Soccer-New boss Tudor '100%' certain Tottenham will avoid relegation from Premier League
Soccer-Carrick sidesteps Ratcliffe immigration row, reinforces Man Utd's values
Soccer-City's Guardiola shrugs off tightening title race, saying 12 games is an eternity
Soccer-Bayern boss Kompany blasts Mourinho over Vinicius racism row response
Soccer-MLS in the spotlight in World Cup year as Messi's Miami begin title defence
Soccer-Turkey detains 32 suspects in widening betting probe, prosecutor's office says

Others Also Read