PETALING JAYA: Penang coach Manzoor Azwira Abdul Wahid (pic) is concerned if his men will be able to repeat their blazing start to the Premier League once the M-League suspension is lifted.
The Panthers had been going great guns and were unbeaten in their four matches when the M-League was suspended on March 14 following the movement control order (MCO).
Penang started their campaign with a 4-2 win over Sarawak United (March 1), beat Selangor II 4-1 (March 7) and had a goalless draw against Kuching (March 14) at their City Stadium home.
Their solitary away match at Manjung Municipal Council Stadium (March 10) ended in a 1-1 draw with Perak II.
Manzoor said his men’s unbeaten run in the Premier League was due to their comprehensive pre-season which they started early and he could only hope they would hit the ground running when the league resumes.
“If we look at how the team could have done so well at the start of the season, it was because we were one of the earliest teams to start our pre-season preparations and that helped to improve the understanding between the players, ” said the former Penang midfielder.
“Of course I’m worried for our positive momentum when the league is suspended. The preparation time for the resumption won’t be the same as what we had in pre-season.”
“So, during this period of MCO, it is a big challenge for me to ensure the players remain disciplined and continue to train at home with what we have planned for them.”