Cricket-Coach Conrad backs big hitting Stubbs at number three in test side


FILE PHOTO: Cricket - ICC T20 World Cup 2024 - Final - India v South Africa - Kensington Oval, Bridgetown, Barbados - June 29, 2024 South Africa's Tristan Stubbs in action REUTERS/Ash Allen/File Photo

(Reuters) - South Africa are looking to give Tristan Stubbs an extended run at No. 3 in their test batting line-up, starting with this week’s first test against the West Indies in Port of Spain, coach Shukri Conrad said on Tuesday.

Stubbs, who turns 24 next week, has forged a reputation for his swashbuckling and powerful batting in the Twenty20 format but is now set for a role of some responsibility in the test side.

He has played only one test previously, against India in January where he scored four runs in his two innings and saw South Africa lose by seven wickets.

South Africa have struggled to find a consistent No. 3 in their batting line-up in recent years.

“Tristan’s going to be given a good run in that position,” Conrad said.

“I think his psyche and technique speaks to someone who will do that job really well. And I'm going to give him a good run. I'd be surprised if we didn't back him throughout the rest of the (test) cycle,” he told a virtual press conference.

“I'm very confident that he’s going to come good, whether it's in the first test match, or the second, but I think we've got a good one for the future in the South African set up.”

Conrad said Stubbs’ technique was the major factor in giving him the job, but also his imposing size.

“Because you're going to be facing the new ball the bulk of the time, I know Tristan ticks all of those boxes. He's also quite an imposing character, a big strong boy, strapping boy. And I quite like that. I like the fact that at the top of the order we will imposing guys who have got a good aura about them with strong body language.

“But ultimately, the proof is going be in the tasting. But yeah, I'm going down this road, and I'm confident we begin to reap the rewards.”

South Africa play a first test series since sending a second-string side to New Zealand in February and suffering two heavy defeats. They take on a Windies team who last month lost a three-test series in England.

“They've got three tough test matches under the belt and they'll come into this series at home taking a lot of confidence from several good performances,” Conrad said of the opposition.

(Reporting by Mark Gleeson in Cape Town; Editing by Alison Williams)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Cricket

Cricket-Trott unsure of future but England coaching role appeals
Cricket-Australia coach defends World Cup planning, puts blame on players
Cricket-Afghanistan say farewell to coach Trott with T20 World Cup win over Canada
Cricket-Zimbabwe humble Sri Lanka ahead of Super Eights in T20 World Cup
Cricket-India's Kaur becomes highest-capped woman in international cricket
Cricket-West Indies finish group stage unbeaten after easing past Italy
Cricket-Sri Lanka's injury woes deepen as Pathirana ruled out of T20 World Cup
Cricket-English cricket gets 45 million pounds grassroots boost as Hundred investment pays dividends
Cricket-South Africa sink UAE to cap unblemished group campaign
Cricket-Australia face rebuild after T20 World Cup flop

Others Also Read