PETALING JAYA: The Malaysian Open badminton championships has been postponed indefinitely and it will no longer be an Olympic Games qualifying event.
The Badminton World Federation (BWF) said the second-tier World Tour event can no longer be held on its scheduled May 25-30 dates due to the recent spike in Covid-19 cases in the country.
"All attempts were made by the organisers (Badminton Association of Malaysia) and BWF to provide a safe tournament environment for all participants, but the recent surge in cases left no choice but to postpone the tournament," said BWF in a statement on Friday (May 7).
"BWF can confirm the rescheduled tournament will no longer take place in the Olympic qualifying window. New tournament dates will be confirmed at a later date."
The Malaysian Open has become the fourth main Olympic qualifier that was rescheduled from last year to fall victim to Covid-19 after the German Open, Asia Championships and Indian Open.
The Singapore Open slated for June 1-6 could be the next to follow suit given the current circumstances.
But whether or not the Singapore Open can successfully be held, it marks the end of the road for several Malaysian shuttlers including men's doubles pairs Goh V Shem-Tan Wee Kiong and Ong Yew Sin-Teo Ee Yi and mixed doubles pairs Goh Soon Huat-Shevon Lai Jemie and Tan Kian Meng-Lai Pei Jing in their bid to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics.