Italy's 'Slow Food' founder Carlo Petrini dies at 76


Carlo Petrini, founder of the Italian ‘Slow Food’ movement that promotes quality food, genuine ingredients and local produce, walks with participants during a Slow Food gathering in this undated handout picture. SLOW FOOD/Handout via REUTERS

ROME, May 22 (Reuters) - ⁠Carlo Petrini, founder of the Italian "Slow Food" movement ⁠that promotes quality food, genuine ingredients and ‌local produce, has died at the age of 76.

The death occurred on Thursday in Petrini's hometown of Bra in the northwestern ​region of Piedmont, Slow Food ⁠said in a statement ⁠on Friday, without giving a cause of death.

Petrini, who ⁠led ‌Slow Food as president until 2022, revealed in recent years that he had been ⁠diagnosed with prostate cancer.

Slow Food was set ​up in ‌1986 in protest against McDonald's opening of its ⁠first fast ​food restaurant in Italy, in Rome's historic centre.

Petrini "brought to life a global movement rooted in the values ⁠of good, clean, and fair food ​for all, connecting communities, farmers, food artisans, cooks, activists, and young people across the world," Slow Food said ⁠in its statement.

Under his leadership, the movement evolved from a small group of friends in the Italian countryside in the 1980s into an internationally renowned ​global network active in more ⁠than 160 countries, Slow Food said.

As an international advocate ​for sustainable agriculture, Petrini was ‌a personal friend of Britain's ​King Charles, a longstanding champion of organic farming.

(Reporting by Alvise Armellini, Editing by Clarence Fernandez)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Others Also Read