New Zealand Reserve Bank to ease loan-to-value ratio restrictions


WELLINGTON, Oct. 14 (Xinhua) -- The Reserve Bank of New Zealand (RBNZ) said Tuesday it will ease mortgage loan-to-value ratio (LVR) restrictions from Dec. 1, increasing banks' flexibility to lend and improving credit access for home buyers and investors.

RBNZ Acting Assistant Governor for Financial Stability Angus McGregor said the move follows last year's introduction of debt-to-income (DTI) limits, which have strengthened borrower resilience and reduced the need for tight LVR settings.

Under the new rules, the cap on owner-occupier lending with an LVR above 80 percent will rise to 25 percent from 20 percent, while the limit for property investors with an LVR above 70 percent will double to 10 percent.

House prices are within a sustainable range, mortgage growth is moderate, and the share of high-risk lending remains low, which are conditions that justify easing, McGregor said, adding that the RBNZ will consult with banks on implementing the changes over the next two weeks.

DTI restrictions will remain unchanged, he said.

Finance Minister Nicola Willis welcomed RBNZ's intention to relax restrictions on lending, saying it will "make it easier for Kiwis to get a foot on the property ladder."

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Turkish riot police force ousted opposition leadership out of headquarters
Russia says it hit Ukraine with hypersonic and ballistic missiles, state news agencies report
Cyprus votes for new parliament with corruption and living costs in focus
At least one dead in Philippine building collapse, 21 people missing
At least 24 killed in Pakistan train blast claimed by separatist militants
Axios says proposed US-Iran deal involves opening strait during 60-day ceasefire extension
'Fjord' by Romania's Cristian Mungiu wins Cannes' top prize
Gunman dies in shootout outside White House
Russia hits Ukraine with Oreshnik missile in one of war's biggest attacks on Kyiv
Flash: Secret Service takes down gunman after he fired multiple gunshots near White House: media

Others Also Read