North Korea military denounces US-South Korea drills, state media says


FILE PHOTO: A North Korean soldier stands guard at his guard post inside North Korean territory, in this picture taken from Paju, South Korea, near the demilitarized zone (DMZ) separating the two Koreas, June 17, 2020. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji/File Photo

SEOUL (Reuters) -North Korea said U.S.-South Korea joint military drills proved Washington's intention to "occupy" the Korean peninsula and aim at its enemy countries in the region, state media reported.

"If they continuously persist in the military rehearsal, they will certainly face up the unpleasant situation and pay a dear price," Kim Yong Bok, first vice-chief of the General Staff of the Korean People's Army, was cited by state media KCNA as saying.

The army general did not mention the summit meeting between South Korea President Lee Jae Myung and U.S. President Donald Trump.

(Reporting by Ju-min Park; Editing by Chris Reese)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

India, Brazil sign mining pact as Modi targets $20 billion trade in five years
With tariffs ruling, Supreme Court reasserts its power to check Trump
Exclusive-Cuban security forces exit Venezuela as US pressure mounts
France's Macron calls for calm ahead of march for far-right activist killed last week
Two soldiers, five militants killed in Bannu, Pakistan army says
Ukrainians, scattered across Europe, trapped in limbo by war
Macron says US Supreme Court tariff ruling shows it is good to have counterweights to power in democracies
Analysis-Trump pushes US toward war with Iran as advisers urge focus on economy
Trump meets Vietnam leader, vows to remove Hanoi from restricted lists
Analysis-Supreme Court checks Trump's expansive view of executive power

Others Also Read