Australian police hunt gunman who shot dead two officers in rural town, media report


SYDNEY (Reuters) -Australian police are hunting a gunman who shot dead two officers and wounded another on Tuesday as they tried to serve a warrant for historical sex abuse allegations to a man at a rural property in the state of Victoria, local media said.

In a statement on social media, Victoria police said they were attending an active incident in the alpine town of Porepunkah, about 300 km (186 miles) north-east of the city of Melbourne, and asked people to avoid the area.

Police have not released details of the incident.

Local media outlet The Age reported that police visited the property to serve a warrant for historical sex abuse allegations when two officers were shot dead and another wounded in an ambush attack.

The Age said heavily armed officers from the Special Operations Group were deployed to the scene and the gunman was now on the run with several family members, including children.

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation said police believe the shooter is a "sovereign citizen". Sovereign citizens believe the government is illegitimate.

Australian Federal Police Commissioner Reece Kershaw said there were “grave concerns” for the police officers involved.

“Just from the police blue family, the wider family across Australia and overseas, our thoughts and prayers are with Victoria police right now,” Kershaw said at a news conference.

The town of Porepunkah is home to 1,000 residents and is located at the base of Australia’s alpine ranges.

“Today has been a day of deep sorrow and shock for our community. We extend our heartfelt condolences to the families, friends, and colleagues of the two police officers tragically killed in Porepunkah," mayor Sarah Nicholas said in a statement.

Local council's facilities across the town including libraries, information centres and depots would remain closed until further notice, Nicholas added.

Porepunkah Primary School principal Jill Gillies told ABC Radio Melbourne that the school was forced to lockdown, with around 90 students sheltering indoors from 11.30 a.m. (0130 GMT). ABC has since reported that the lockdown had been lifted.

The local airfield also closed due to the ongoing emergency response.

(Reporting by Christine Chen in Sydney; Editing by Michael Perry)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

India, Brazil sign mining pact as Modi targets $20 billion trade in five years
With tariffs ruling, Supreme Court reasserts its power to check Trump
Exclusive-Cuban security forces exit Venezuela as US pressure mounts
France's Macron calls for calm ahead of march for far-right activist killed last week
Two soldiers, five militants killed in Bannu, Pakistan army says
Ukrainians, scattered across Europe, trapped in limbo by war
Macron says US Supreme Court tariff ruling shows it is good to have counterweights to power in democracies
Analysis-Trump pushes US toward war with Iran as advisers urge focus on economy
Trump meets Vietnam leader, vows to remove Hanoi from restricted lists
Analysis-Supreme Court checks Trump's expansive view of executive power

Others Also Read