Africa's regional blocs merge initiatives to steer DRC peace talks


NAIROBI, Aug. 14 (Xinhua) -- Kenyan President William Ruto and Zimbabwean President Emmerson Mnangagwa have announced a decision to merge two initiatives to advance peace efforts in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

Ruto and Mnangagwa, co-chairing a virtual extraordinary joint summit on Wednesday of the East African Community (EAC) and the Southern African Development Community (SADC), endorsed merging their respective Nairobi and Luanda peace processes into a single African-led mediation framework supported by the African Union to improve coordination.

"They also approved key operational documents and a resource mobilization plan to sustain the initiative," the Kenyan presidency said in a statement released on Thursday.

During the summit, Ruto advocated a united African-led approach, calling it "the surest path" to durable peace in the eastern DRC, it said.

The joint summit endorsed appointing former Botswanan President Mokgweetsi Masisi to join the five-member Panel of Facilitators mandated to steer inclusive dialogue on the eastern DRC.

The other four panel members are former presidents Olusegun Obasanjo of Nigeria, Uhuru Kenyatta of Kenya, Catherine Samba-Panza of the Central African Republic, and Sahle-Work Zewde of Ethiopia.

The summit welcomed progress from U.S. and Qatari diplomatic initiatives and commended Rwandan President Paul Kagame and DRC President Felix Tshisekedi for embracing dialogue.

The EAC-SADC initiative, an Africa-led process, aims to restore peace in the DRC and complements ongoing U.S. and Qatari mediation, the statement said.

The eastern DRC has suffered decades of conflict, intensified by the March 23 Movement (M23) rebel group's resurgence since late 2021.

According to the United Nations, more than 27.8 million people in the DRC face food insecurity, with more than 7 million internally displaced, many repeatedly.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

India, Brazil sign mining pact as Modi targets $20 billion trade in five years
With tariffs ruling, Supreme Court reasserts its power to check Trump
Exclusive-Cuban security forces exit Venezuela as US pressure mounts
France's Macron calls for calm ahead of march for far-right activist killed last week
Two soldiers, five militants killed in Bannu, Pakistan army says
Ukrainians, scattered across Europe, trapped in limbo by war
Macron says US Supreme Court tariff ruling shows it is good to have counterweights to power in democracies
Analysis-Trump pushes US toward war with Iran as advisers urge focus on economy
Trump meets Vietnam leader, vows to remove Hanoi from restricted lists
Analysis-Supreme Court checks Trump's expansive view of executive power

Others Also Read