WHO declares Kenya free of sleeping sickness


NAIROBI, Aug. 8 (Xinhua) -- The World Health Organization (WHO) on Friday certified Kenya as having eliminated human African trypanosomiasis, also known as sleeping sickness, as a public health challenge, making it the 10th country to reach this critical milestone.

"I congratulate the government and people of Kenya on this landmark achievement," said WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus in a statement issued in Nairobi, the Kenyan capital.

"Kenya joins the growing ranks of countries freeing their populations of human African trypanosomiasis. This is another step toward making Africa free of neglected tropical diseases," Tedros added.

Human African trypanosomiasis is the second neglected tropical disease to be eliminated in Kenya, following the country's certification as Guinea worm disease-free in 2018.

The disease is caused by protozoan parasites transmitted by infected tsetse flies, according to the WHO. Symptoms include fever, headaches, joint pain, and, in advanced stages, neurological symptoms like confusion, disrupted sleep patterns, and behavioral changes.

Aden Duale, Kenya's cabinet secretary for health, said the WHO validation of sleeping sickness elimination marked a historic step toward enhancing public health security in the country, fostering economic growth.

Kenya detected the first case of sleeping sickness in the early 20th century and has since engaged in robust mitigation activities. The last two exported cases were detected in 2012 in the world-famous Maasai Mara National Reserve.

In recent years, the country has enhanced sleeping sickness surveillance in 12 health facilities across six historically endemic counties, which serve as sentinel sites. This effort is complemented by the use of modern diagnostic tools and the training of personnel to avert new transmission.

Abdourahmane Diallo, the WHO representative in Kenya, said forward-looking leadership and partnerships were pivotal in accelerating progress toward sleeping sickness elimination in the East African country.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Ukraine hits Russian ballistic missiles producer in Udmurtia, Kyiv says
India, Brazil sign mining pact as Modi targets $20 billion trade in five years
With tariffs ruling, Supreme Court reasserts its power to check Trump
Exclusive-Cuban security forces exit Venezuela as US pressure mounts
France's Macron calls for calm ahead of march for far-right activist killed last week
Two soldiers, five militants killed in Bannu, Pakistan army says
Ukrainians, scattered across Europe, trapped in limbo by war
Macron says US Supreme Court tariff ruling shows it is good to have counterweights to power in democracies
Analysis-Trump pushes US toward war with Iran as advisers urge focus on economy
Trump meets Vietnam leader, vows to remove Hanoi from restricted lists

Others Also Read