UK threatens jail for people smugglers who advertise on social media


Migrants walk along the road after attempting to leave the French coast to cross the English Channel to reach Britain, as tougher migration controls were announced, in Wimereux, near Boulogne-sur-Mer, France, July 18, 2025. REUTERS/Gonzalo Fuentes/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) -People smugglers who use social media to promote their services to migrants seeking to enter Britain illegally could face five years in prison under plans announced by the government.

Prime Minister Keir Starmer's Labour government is under huge political and public pressure to cut the number of migrants arriving illegally in small boats from France. More than 25,000 people have made the crossing so far this year.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Police officer killed, 24 people injured in bombs explosions in Ukraine's Lviv
Russia hits Ukraine energy infrastructure with major missile, drone strikes, Kyiv says
South Korea protests Japanese event over disputed islands
California avalanche: All nine victim bodies recovered
Two KLM aircraft collide on the ground at Schiphol Airport
Trump says he is sending a hospital ship to Greenland
OIC condemns statements by US ambassador to Israel
Trump hikes US global tariff rate to 15%
Australia rejects report it is repatriating families of IS militants from Syrian camp
5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya's capital Tripoli, police officer says

Others Also Read