Chile's Codelco reports death of one of five trapped El Teniente miners


A drone view shows the entrance to Codelco's El Teniente copper mining complex, after several miners have been reported missing at the Andesita unit following a seismic incident, in Maitenes, Chile August 1, 2025. REUTERS/Pablo Sanhueza

SANTIAGO (Reuters) -Chilean copper miner Codelco has discovered the remains of one of five trapped miners at its flagship El Teniente mine, it said on Saturday, bringing the death toll from a collapse caused by a strongtremor on Thursday to two people.

It said that the identity of the second victim must still be confirmed by authorities. One other person was reported dead on Thursday at the time of the accident, which occurred in the Andesita section of the mine.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Ukraine strikes ballistic missile producer deep inside Russia, Kyiv says
Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump's global tariffs
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Ukraine hits Russian ballistic missiles producer in Udmurtia, Kyiv says
India, Brazil sign mining pact as Modi targets $20 billion trade in five years
With tariffs ruling, Supreme Court reasserts its power to check Trump
Exclusive-Cuban security forces exit Venezuela as US pressure mounts
France's Macron calls for calm ahead of march for far-right activist killed last week
Two soldiers, five militants killed in Bannu, Pakistan army says
Ukrainians, scattered across Europe, trapped in limbo by war

Others Also Read