Death toll from floods in South Africa's Eastern Cape hits 100


CAPE TOWN, June 24 (Xinhua) -- The death toll from the recent devastating floods in South Africa's Eastern Cape Province has risen to 100, as search and recovery efforts continue, local authorities confirmed on Tuesday.

The floods, which swept through the province earlier this month, have caused widespread loss of life, disruption to livelihoods and significant damage to infrastructure.

"As per the latest report, 94 bodies have been positively identified and handed over to their families, while processes are ongoing to identify the six remaining bodies," the Eastern Cape provincial government said in a statement.

"Out of the 100 deceased persons, 63 are adults and 37 children, of which 22 are learners," it said, adding that OR Tambo District, which bore the brunt of the floods, recorded 76 deaths.

"The numbers are likely to increase, as there are individuals that are still reported missing by their families and next of kin, and search operations persist in the affected areas," the government noted.

Meanwhile, OR Tambo District reported that 95 percent of its affected areas have had water services restored, though some parts remain without water and are being served by water tankers.

The provincial government also assured residents that its teams have been working around the clock to repair damaged infrastructure, restore stability, and ensure access to clean water across the affected areas.

"The government remains committed to accelerating recovery programs and ensuring that displaced and affected communities receive the assistance they need to rebuild their lives," it said.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

California avalanche: All nine victim bodies recovered
Two KLM aircraft collide on the ground at Schiphol Airport
Trump says he is sending a hospital ship to Greenland
OIC condemns statements by US ambassador to Israel
Trump hikes US global tariff rate to 15%
Australia rejects report it is repatriating families of IS militants from Syrian camp
5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya's capital Tripoli, police officer says
Islamic State claims two attacks on Syrian army, announces ‘new phase’ of operations
German duo Nolte/Levi defend Olympic title in 2-woman bobsled
Medal table at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on February 21

Others Also Read