Ecuador court delivers final blow to opposition election challenge


FILE PHOTO: Ecuadorean presidential candidate Luisa Gonzalez looks on as she addresses supporters during the presidential election in Quito, Ecuador April 13, 2025. REUTERS/Karen Toro/File Photo

QUITO (Reuters) - Ecuador's electoral court dismissed a request from the nation's biggest opposition party contesting the results of April's presidential election, a document published on Tuesday showed, leaving the group with no further recourse.

Incumbent President Daniel Noboa has already been widely recognized by international elections observers and the nation's electoral council as the winner of last month's run-off.

However, leftist challenger Luisa Gonzalez, of the Citizens' Revolution party, decried the results as a product of fraud and her coalition had filed a series of challenges.

The court ruling, dated Monday, said the opposition's request was unfounded.

Gonzalez's mentor, former President Rafael Correa, said on social media after the ruling was released that ballot boxes should be opened for a recount and repeated allegations that Noboa's victory was "impossible."

Noboa has scoffed at the fraud claims.

(Reporting by Alexandra Valencia)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

California avalanche: All nine victim bodies recovered
Two KLM aircraft collide on the ground at Schiphol Airport
Trump says he is sending a hospital ship to Greenland
OIC condemns statements by US ambassador to Israel
Trump hikes US global tariff rate to 15%
Australia rejects report it is repatriating families of IS militants from Syrian camp
5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya's capital Tripoli, police officer says
Islamic State claims two attacks on Syrian army, announces ‘new phase’ of operations
German duo Nolte/Levi defend Olympic title in 2-woman bobsled
Medal table at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on February 21

Others Also Read