South Korean city orders more than 1,200 residents to evacuate due to wildfire


Firefighters try to put out a wildfire in Daegu, South Korea, April 28, 2025. -- Yonhap/via REUTERS

SEOUL (Reuters) -The South Korean city of Daegu ordered on Monday more than 1,200 residents to evacuate after strong winds whipped up a wildfire and prompted the closure of a highway in the area due to concerns about the blaze.

The wildfire began at around 2 p.m. (0500 GMT) and had affected an estimated 50 hectares (123.6 acres) in less than two hours due to dry conditions and constant winds, the Korea Forest Service said in a statement.

No casualties had been reported so far due to the fire around Daegu, which is about 233 km (145 miles) southeast of the capital Seoul.

The Korea Forest Service said 26 helicopters and 202 firefighting personnel were deployed to the site, while a section of the Gyeongbu highway was closed.

In March, South Korea suffered the country's worst ever natural fire disaster, with nearly 30 people killed and historic temples incinerated.

(Reporting by Joyce LeeEditing by Ed Davies)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Olympic women's freeski halfpipe final rescheduled amid adverse weather (updated)
5 die of carbon monoxide poisoning in Russia's Vologda Region
Iranian students begin new university term with protests
France's Michelon storms to mass start gold as biathlon concludes at Milan-Cortina Games
Two aircraft collide on the ground at Schiphol airport, no injuries
2nd LD: Trump raises new global tariff from 10 pct to 15 pct
Romania issues orange flood warning for southern rivers
1st LD: Trump raises new global tariff from 10 pct to 15 pct
Urgent: Trump raises new global tariff from 10 pct to 15 pct
Su Yiming to carry China's flag at closing ceremony of Milan-Cortina Games

Others Also Read