World Economic Forum launches probe into allegations against founder Klaus Schwab


GENEVA, April 23 (Xinhua) -- The World Economic Forum (WEF) has confirmed the launch of an independent investigation into allegations of misconduct against its former chairman, Klaus Schwab.

The WEF said Wednesday in a statement that its board "unanimously supported the Audit and Risk Committee's decision to initiate an independent investigation following a whistleblower letter containing allegations against former Chairman Klaus Schwab."

According to a report by the Wall Street Journal on Tuesday, a whistleblower letter was sent to the WEF board last week, alleging financial and ethical misconduct by Schwab and his wife. A spokesperson for Schwab denied all the allegations in the whistleblower letter, the newspaper said.

The WEF said in the statement that it takes the allegations seriously and stressed that they remain unproven. It will await the outcome of the investigation to comment further.

On Monday, the WEF announced the resignation of Schwab as chairman of the board and the appointment of Vice Chairman Peter Brabeck-Letmathe as interim chairman. A committee has also been established for the selection of a future chair.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

California avalanche: All nine victim bodies recovered
Two KLM aircraft collide on the ground at Schiphol Airport
Trump says he is sending a hospital ship to Greenland
OIC condemns statements by US ambassador to Israel
Trump hikes US global tariff rate to 15%
Australia rejects report it is repatriating families of IS militants from Syrian camp
5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya's capital Tripoli, police officer says
Islamic State claims two attacks on Syrian army, announces ‘new phase’ of operations
German duo Nolte/Levi defend Olympic title in 2-woman bobsled
Medal table at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on February 21

Others Also Read