Mike Lynch's sunken yacht to be pulled from Sicilian waters in May


FILE PHOTO: A rescue boat with rescue personnel on board resumes search operations for British tech entrepreneur Mike Lynch's daughter Hannah Lynch, at the scene where a luxury yacht sank, off the coast of Porticello, near the Sicilian city of Palermo, Italy, August 23, 2024. REUTERS/Louiza Vradi/File Photo

ROME (Reuters) - The superyacht that sank off Sicily last year, killing British tech tycoon Mike Lynch and six others, will be lifted out of the water next month after its mast is dismantled, people close to the matter said on Tuesday.

The recovery of the British-flagged Bayesian, lying on its right side at a depth of around 50 metres (164 feet), could help explain why it went down during a sudden storm off the port of Porticello, near Palermo - an event that has baffled naval experts.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Spain's top court rejects father's bid to halt daughter's euthanasia
Germany's Merz says his conservatives will not partner with far-right AfD
Norway moves some of its 60 soldiers in Middle East due to security situation
Russia says no peace dialogue ongoing with Japan over territorial dispute
Over 5,000 women, girls killed in Ukraine since 2022, says UN
Europe's strongest military powers plan drone defence programme
Trump ally ties up with Russia's Novatek on natural gas in Alaska, NYT reports
Police search royal mansion as investigation into king's brother goes on
Snow-induced halt to flights in Vienna extended until 1100 GMT
Journalist with Germany's Deutsche Welle detained in Turkey

Others Also Read