Colombia suspends ceasefire with FARC guerrilla faction


FILE PHOTO: Colombians displaced by clashes between the rebels of the National Liberation Army (ELN) and former Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) dissidents wait to enter the General Santander Stadium to receive aid, in Cucuta, Colombia, January 23, 2025. REUTERS/Nathalia Angarita/File Photo

BOGOTA (Reuters) - The Colombian government will suspend a ceasefire with a faction of what was once the armed FARC guerrilla group, it said on Thursday, though it said the decision did not imply the end of peace talks with the group.

The ceasefire between the government and the FARC-EP group expired earlier this week. An extension was expected to be agreed upon, but failed to be settled in time.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya's capital Tripoli, police officer says
Islamic State claims two attacks on Syrian army, announces ‘new phase’ of operations
German duo Nolte/Levi defend Olympic title in 2-woman bobsled
Medal table at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on February 21
France captures mixed relay gold to conclude Olympic ski mountaineering debut
Venezuela has received more than 1,550 requests under amnesty law
DHS agent killed US citizen in March 2025, records show
Dutch speed skaters Bergsma, Groenewoud collect mass start golds at Milan-Cortina Games (updated)
Salsa legend Willie Col�n dies at age 75, family says
French Alps 2030 organizers pledge high-quality Winter Games despite time, budget pressure

Others Also Read