Defiant Caribbean leaders dismiss trafficking accusations as US targets Cuba's doctor diplomacy


Trinidad and Tobago's Prime Minister Keith Rowley addresses the audience during the opening day of the T&T Energy Conference in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, February 10, 2025. REUTERS/Robert Taylor/File Photo

(Reuters) - Caribbean leaders this week rejected U.S. accusations of Cuban labor exploitation after the United States announced it will restrict the visas of officials tied to a Cuban government program that sends medics abroad.

The U.S. announced the measure late last month, arguing that the labor export programs run by Cuba's government, which include many medics, "enrich the Cuban regime." It further argued that those involved are complicit in the "exploitation and forced labor of Cuban workers."

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Police officer killed, 24 people injured in bombs explosions in Ukraine's Lviv
Russia hits Ukraine energy infrastructure with major missile, drone strikes, Kyiv says
South Korea protests Japanese event over disputed islands
California avalanche: All nine victim bodies recovered
Two KLM aircraft collide on the ground at Schiphol Airport
Trump says he is sending a hospital ship to Greenland
OIC condemns statements by US ambassador to Israel
Trump hikes US global tariff rate to 15%
Australia rejects report it is repatriating families of IS militants from Syrian camp
5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya's capital Tripoli, police officer says

Others Also Read