Trump administration to keep 611 USAID essential staff, notice says


FILE PHOTO: A view of the interior, as the USAID building sits closed to employees after a memo was issued advising agency personnel to work remotely, in Washington, D.C., U.S., February 3, 2025. REUTERS/Kent Nishimura/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration will keep 611 essential workers on board at USAID, according to a notice sent to workers at the U.S. foreign aid agency late Thursday night and shared with Reuters by an administration official on Friday.

The administration had earlier planned to keep fewer than 300 staff at the U.S. Agency for International Development out of the agency's worldwide total of more than 10,000, Reuters previously reported, citing four sources familiar with the plan.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's sweeping tariffs
Explainer-What charge might King Charles' brother face after his arrest?
France's far right seeks to deepen mainstream credibility after activist's killing
Trump says he is considering limited military strike on Iran
Analysis-Britain's royals face their worst crisis in 90 years over Andrew's Epstein links
France allows culling of around 200 wolves to protect livestock
Germany's Merz vows to keep out far-right as he warns of a changed world
Spain's top court rejects father's bid to halt daughter's euthanasia
Germany's Merz says his conservatives will not partner with far-right AfD
Norway moves some of its 60 soldiers in Middle East due to security situation

Others Also Read