Greek Ombudsman suggests disciplinary charges over 2023 deadly migrant shipwreck


FILE PHOTO: Body bags carrying migrants who died after their boat capsized in the open sea off Greece, are seen onboard a Hellenic Coast Guard vessel at the port of Kalamata, Greece, June 14, 2023. REUTERS/Stelios Misinas/File Photo

ATHENS (Reuters) - A Greek Ombudsman has recommended disciplinary action against eight coastguard officers for alleged dereliction of duty in one of the deadliest migrant shipwrecks off Greece in which hundreds died in 2023.

The inquiry is the first to conclude on the circumstances surrounding the shipwreck off the southwestern coastal town of Pylos on June 14, 2023, which sank in plain sight of Greek coastguard authorities with about 750 people on board.

The trawler, named Ariana, had left Libya for Italy and was monitored by the Greek coastguard for nearly 12 hours before capsizing and sinking in international waters. Only 104 people are known to have survived.

In a report released Monday, Ombudsman Andreas Pottakis said there were "clear indications" that eight senior coastguard officers had a case to answer for dereliction of search and rescue duties, and which resulted in endangering lives of those aboard the Ariana.

The Greek coastguard did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Coastguard authorities have repeatedly denied any wrongdoing over the handling of the case that raised questions about the European Union's tactics on migration.

The inquiry was launched by the Ombudsman in June 2023 after the Greek coastguard rejected his calls to launch an internal investigation into the incident.

About 10 officers were called to testify as suspects, including the Commandant.

Pottakis's findings have been forwarded to Greece's Shipping Minister for further action, the Ombudsman's office said.

"The transparency of administrative action and the attribution of responsiblities, where applicable, for the deadly shipwreck of Pylos is an elementary legal demand, inextricably linked to respect of rule of law, as is the thorough investigation of any other incident related to violation of the right to life, health and physical integrity," a statement from Pottakis's office said.

A local naval court, which opened a criminal investigation last year, has concluded a preliminary investigation and referred the case to a chief prosecutor, lawyers representing the survivors and victims said last month, after reviewing the legal files of the case.

They said a preliminary investigation failed to shed light on the incident and more evidence had to be examined by the court.

(Reporting by Renee Maltezou and Yannis Souliotis; Writing by Michele Kambas and Angus MacSwan)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

France allows culling of around 200 wolves to protect livestock
Germany's Merz vows to keep out far-right as he warns of a changed world
Spain's top court rejects father's bid to halt daughter's euthanasia
Germany's Merz says his conservatives will not partner with far-right AfD
Norway moves some of its 60 soldiers in Middle East due to security situation
Russia says no peace dialogue ongoing with Japan over territorial dispute
Over 5,000 women, girls killed in Ukraine since 2022, says UN
Europe's main military powers to develop low-cost air-defence systems
Trump ally ties up with Russia's Novatek on natural gas in Alaska, NYT reports
Police search royal mansion as investigation into king's brother goes on

Others Also Read