South Africa selects 65 tour operators to process visas for Chinese, Indian tourists


JOHANNESBURG, Jan. 13 (Xinhua) -- The South African government has selected 65 tour operators to process in bulk the visas of Chinese and Indian tourists, the Department of Home Affairs said Monday.

"The Department of Home Affairs is proud to announce the successful conclusion of the selection process for the first set of participating companies in the ground-breaking Trusted Tour Operator Scheme (TTOS), which is aimed at boosting tourism arrivals from China and India," said the department in a statement.

"Through a joint process that involved the Department of Home Affairs, the Department of Tourism, and the State Security Agency, a total of 65 tour operators from South Africa, China and India were selected out of 141 applicants for enrollment in the program, after a thorough interdepartmental vetting and screening process," it said.

TTOS was announced last year to boost tourism spending from China and India when Chinese tourists account for just 1.8 percent and Indian tourists 3.9 percent of all international visitors to South Africa.

According to the statement, the 65 tour companies selected for TTOS are major industry operators with at least 12 months of operational experience and a track record of legal compliance and cross-country collaboration.

South African Minister of Home Affairs Leon Schreiber said that he looks forward to "welcoming the first arrivals under TTOS within a matter of weeks, as a tangible demonstration of how the seventh administration is working together to deliver real reform and economic growth to create jobs."

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

California avalanche: All nine victim bodies recovered
Two KLM aircraft collide on the ground at Schiphol Airport
Trump says he is sending a hospital ship to Greenland
OIC condemns statements by US ambassador to Israel
Trump hikes US global tariff rate to 15%
Australia rejects report it is repatriating families of IS militants from Syrian camp
5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya's capital Tripoli, police officer says
Islamic State claims two attacks on Syrian army, announces ‘new phase’ of operations
German duo Nolte/Levi defend Olympic title in 2-woman bobsled
Medal table at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on February 21

Others Also Read