Greece's former royal family regains citizenship, surname De Gréce


FILE PHOTO: Greece's former Crown Prince Pavlos, former Prince Nikolaos and former Prince Philippos follow the coffin of former King of Greece Constantine II on the day of his funeral, in Athens, Greece, January 16, 2023. REUTERS/Louiza Vradi/File Photo

ATHENS (Reuters) - Greece's former royal family has been granted Greek citizenship and pledged loyalty to the republic in a landmark move 50 years after the country abolished the monarchy.

Ten members of the family, including the children and grandchildren of former King Constantine who died in 2023, applied for citizenship last week.

The former royals welcomed the decision with a statement on Monday saying that the passing of their father and grandfather had marked the end of an era.

However, their choice to use the surname De Gréce - which in French means "of Greece" - has angered leftwing politicians who claim a nobility title is unconstitutional.

"The surname they have chosen proves that they want to maintain a myth," said Nikos Androulakis, leader of the centre-left PASOK party, the main opposition.

The former royals said picking a surname was a prerequisite for the reinstatement of their nationality, the loss of which had rendered them stateless and caused significant emotional distress. The family, they said, was and would be loyal to Greece.

"It is with deep emotion that, after thirty years, we hold the Greek citizenship again," they said.

Greece's former King Constantine II ascended to the throne in 1964 but his reign was marred by political instability that culminated in a military coup on April 21, 1967.

After the fall of the junta in 1974, Greeks rejected monarchy in a referendum, making Constantine the last king of Greece. Athens stripped him of his citizenship in 1994 and defined the terms under which he and his family could be recognised as Greek nationals.

Leftist parties said that migrants working in Greece were having to wait for decades to get citizenship, despite meeting the criteria, and accused the conservative government of trying to win votes.

The government says the issue is a formality and that democracy can protect itself.

(Reporting by Renee Maltezou; Editing by Christina Fincher)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Pope says peace in Ukraine 'cannot be postponed'
Trump curious why Iran has not 'capitulated' amid US military buildup, says Witkoff
Moscow airports restrict flights amid drone attack
France to summon US ambassador over comments on far-right activist's death
Supreme Court wades into US-Cuba business disputes, with billions at stake
Afghanistan's ruling Taliban say Pakistan strikes kill, injure dozens
India delays U.S. trade talks after Supreme Court rejects Trump tariffs, source says
Exclusive-Iran and US views on sanctions relief differ, Iranian official tells Reuters
Police officer killed, 24 people wounded in bomb explosions in Ukraine's Lviv
Russia hits Ukraine energy infrastructure with major missile, drone strikes, Kyiv says

Others Also Read