Indonesia's Mount Lewotobi erupts again, government to widen restricted zone


JAKARTA (Reuters) - Indonesia's Mount Lewotobi Laki-laki erupted at least three times early on Saturday, spewing an ash column 9 km (5.6 miles) high, as authorities planned to widen the restricted area, officials said.

A big eruption on Sunday by the volcano in East Nusa Tenggara province killed nine. Since then, authorities have been scrambling to evacuate 16,000 people from villages nearest the crater as eruptions continue.

"The eruption accompanied by the ejection of hot lava and hot clouds to the west and northwest of Mount Lewotobi Laki-laki is still occurring," said Muhammad Wafid, head of the volcanology agency.

The agency plans to expand to 9 km from 8 km (5 miles) the zone southwest to northwest of the crater that people are not allowed to enter, he said.

Evacuation efforts continued, with some 10,700 people having been removed by Friday evening, data from Indonesia's disaster agency showed on Saturday.

On Friday, Mount Lewotobi erupted several times, with an ash column up to 10 km (6.2 miles) high.

(Reporting by Fransiska Nangoy in Jakarta; Editing by William Mallard)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Trump meets Vietnam leader, vows to remove Hanoi from restricted lists
Analysis-Supreme Court checks Trump's expansive view of executive power
Trump furious after Supreme Court upends his global tariffs, imposes new 10% levy
US says it struck vessel in the eastern Pacific, killing three men
1st LD: Trump says he will sign order imposing 10 pct global tariff
Tajikistan's population reaches 10.72 million
Switzerland takes men's curling bronze, Sweden, Switzerland set up women's final at Milan-Cortina
Coventry hails Milan-Cortina Games as 'truly successful'
Medal table at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on February 20
U.S. stocks close higher

Others Also Read