Over 40 students hospitalized for suspected food poisoning in South Africa


JOHANNESBURG, Oct. 22 (Xinhua) -- A total of 43 learners from a primary school in KwaZulu-Natal Province, South Africa, were sent to hospital on Monday for suspected food poisoning, local education authorities confirmed on Tuesday.

The provincial education department said the learners from Ngaqa Primary School in Mtubatuba fell ill after consuming snacks purchased from street vendors outside the school.

"The students were rushed to a local clinic and were released upon medical treatment. Some tests were taken to the laboratory," said Muzi Mhlambi, spokesperson for the Department of Education in Kwazulu-Natal Province.

Mhlambi said the department is collaborating with the police and the Department of Health to investigate the accident's cause.

South Africa has recently experienced a surge in food poisoning cases among children. On Oct. 6, six children died from suspected food poisoning in Johannesburg, and over 130 students from Gauteng, Limpopo, and KwaZulu-Natal provinces were hospitalized for similar reasons earlier this month.

South Africa's National Department of Health deployed an 80-member investigation team, including environmental and health inspectors, to look into these accidents and inspect food sold in local tuck shops. The investigation commenced on Monday, and the exact cause of the suspected food poisoning cases remains under investigation.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Police officer killed, 24 people injured in bombs explosions in Ukraine's Lviv
Russia hits Ukraine energy infrastructure with major missile, drone strikes, Kyiv says
South Korea protests Japanese event over disputed islands
California avalanche: All nine victim bodies recovered
Two KLM aircraft collide on the ground at Schiphol Airport
Trump says he is sending a hospital ship to Greenland
OIC condemns statements by US ambassador to Israel
Trump hikes US global tariff rate to 15%
Australia rejects report it is repatriating families of IS militants from Syrian camp
5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya's capital Tripoli, police officer says

Others Also Read