Colombia calls off ceasefire with some units of EMC armed group


FILE PHOTO: Colombia's President Gustavo Petro attends the appointment ceremony of the new Commander in Chief of the Colombian Military Forces, Admiral Francisco Cubides, at the Jose Maria Cordova Military Cadet School in Bogota, Colombia July 9, 2024. REUTERS/Luisa Gonzalez/File Photo

BOGOTA (Reuters) -Colombia's government has ended a ceasefire with some factions of the EMC rebels, led by commander Ivan Mordisco, who reject peace talks, the defense ministry said on Tuesday.

The Estado Mayor Central (EMC) was formed by dissident former Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) fighters who themselves reject a 2016 peace deal with the state.

"(The ceasefire) will continue for three months with the Gentil Duarte block, the Jorge Suarez Briceno block, and the Raul Reyes front," the defense ministry said in a message via X.

The government in March suspended a ceasefire with the EMC in certain provinces because of ongoing violence.

The move stoked demands by a majority of units in the EMC to reinstate the ceasefire, eventually provoking an internal division that saw various fronts pull out of the talks.

The ceasefire will continue in provinces such as Norte de Santander, Antioquia, Meta and Caqueta.

Ivan Mordisco, whose legal name is Nestor Gregorio Vera, was a much-feared commander in the FARC before he began leading dissident rebels.

President Gustavo Petro has promised to end Colombia's 60-year conflict, which has killed 450,000 people, through new peace deals, but he is confronting significant hurdles, including the fraught EMC negotiations, which began in October last year.

The EMC, which has an estimated 3,800 members, has built clinics, roads and bridges in areas where it exercises control, a strategy meant to bring it closer to local people and give it a stronger position at the negotiating table.

(Reporting by Oliver Griffin and Luis Jaime Acosta, Writing by Natalia Siniawski and Julia Symmes Cobb, Editing by Louise Heavens)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Ukraine hits Russian ballistic missiles producer in Udmurtia, Kyiv says
India, Brazil sign mining pact as Modi targets $20 billion trade in five years
With tariffs ruling, Supreme Court reasserts its power to check Trump
Exclusive-Cuban security forces exit Venezuela as US pressure mounts
France's Macron calls for calm ahead of march for far-right activist killed last week
Two soldiers, five militants killed in Bannu, Pakistan army says
Ukrainians, scattered across Europe, trapped in limbo by war
Macron says US Supreme Court tariff ruling shows it is good to have counterweights to power in democracies
Analysis-Trump pushes US toward war with Iran as advisers urge focus on economy

Others Also Read